• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost catalog when changing computers - are virtual copies lost forever?

Contributor ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost my LR catalog when changing computers.  I accidentally deleted ALL my files (using the command line) from the external drive I was going to start using on my new system, and in the messy process of recovering everything I forgot to keep my catalog in place.  All my XMP sidecar files are still in place, but I had may virtual copies of raw files, which I don't see any more, that I was using to produce different versions/looks of some images.  Is all of that information lost?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

If you are prepared to put in the time, it might be possible to-

1)  Open the 'old' catalog (all files will be 'missing')

2) Filter for Virtual Copies  (Icon on the Filter Bar-Attributes). This will limit your next step to the VC photos only.

3) Spend your time re-linking the photos to the originals. This is the difficult part where YOU have to search for them in their new location.

4) When re-linked in the 'old' catalog select the VCs again.

5) [Export as a Catalog] to a temporary Catalog

6) Close LR

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the VC's are only stored in the catalog.  I think this is a big design failure of the XMP in Lightroom.  Snapshots are stored in XMP so it shouldn't  be to difficult to store VC's for a photo it its XMP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to restore a recent backup of your catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog would no longer even know what folders to read from, because during the messy recovery process, things got moved around a lot into different folders.  I do have access to my old catalog, though -- Is there a way to find the info for the VCs and copy it over to the new catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are prepared to put in the time, it might be possible to-

1)  Open the 'old' catalog (all files will be 'missing')

2) Filter for Virtual Copies  (Icon on the Filter Bar-Attributes). This will limit your next step to the VC photos only.

3) Spend your time re-linking the photos to the originals. This is the difficult part where YOU have to search for them in their new location.

4) When re-linked in the 'old' catalog select the VCs again.

5) [Export as a Catalog] to a temporary Catalog

6) Close LR and re-open your Current working Catalog

7) [Import from a Catalog] choosing the temporary catalog to merge.

Test this method with just a few images- if it works you can then set to work for the remainder.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, I would have never thought of going through all that, but sounds like it will work.  When I do finally get around to doing this, I'll post an update.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines