• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cryptomatte support in AE

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add support for cryptomatte renderpasses in After Effects! A lot of users are using AE for compositing 3D images/videos, and cryptomatte seems really  great, but it's only supported by Nuke and Fusion currently. I would love to use it in AE and even in Photoshop!

Here is a demo:

V-Ray for 3ds Max — Cryptomatte - YouTube

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't keep my hopes up, given AE's lousy support for EXRs and its limitations in dealing with custom/ arbitrary channels. It's a whole different story than Nuke and Fu that have provision for such stuff from the outset. To date we can't even use PS custom channels and that says something...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I have to start learning Fusion. Nuke seems a little overkill for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using EXR's mostly in AE today, however not the multichannel/layer type. I found it to be very slow in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to be sure people from Adobe to see your request and, in fact, make sure it goes directly to somebody who actually works on After Effects, file a feature request here. If you fill it out correctly, it goes directly to a member of the After Effects team and gets logged into their system for action.

If you know others who would find this feature useful, make sure to have them file too. The more votes a feature gets, the higher up the priority list it goes. You will probably not get feedback from Adobe once you fill out that form, but I can assure you that form works! I've had a number of things I've requested show up in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Szalam. I'll do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan on making a Crytomatte plug-in if I ever find the time. Would be happy if the AE team beat me to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't wait for Adobe to beat you to it. We're ready to buy here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes make it please , i will buy it .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please make Cryptomatte plugin!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it has only been what 12, 14 years since the development of EXRs and motion vectors. And After Effects still do not have a descent support for objID, or motion vectors.... I will not hold my breath for them to change their ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Fnordware!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoy! Please also install ProEXR AE and replace your OpenEXR plug-in with the one in the beta. The new version always caches channels, which should help a lot with Cryptomatte, which usually fetches quite a few channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you very much for your effort , i just tried it and it's working good , i just notice that when use it with cryptomatte material and asset it's work fast , but when use with cryptomatte object it's very slow ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the latest beta, which speeds things up a bit. Also make sure to replace the OpenEXR plug-in with the latest one from the beta.

Cryptomatte will render more slowly if there are more pixels holding multiple IDs in the same pixel because it has to check each ID hash in every pixel to see if it's in your selection.  So the content of the file will change the render time, which is unusual for an After Effects plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just getting in on the Cryptomatte party, and so happy to see an AE plugin. Thanks Fnordware!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a "How To" guide or a support forum available for the plugin? I haven't been able to get it to work, but I'm not sure if its an issue on the plugin side or on the renderer side (VrayforC4D), as this is the first time I've tried a Cryptomatte workflow.

If anyone has a rendered Crpytomatte image file that they've confirmed will work in the AE plugin, that would be great to use for debugging.

Thanks!

Luke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a little section on Cryptomatte in the PDF manual, but it should be as simple as this:

0. Install the ProEXR beta, especially the Cryptomatte and ProEXR AE plug-ins. I also recommend you replace the OpenEXR plug-in that ships with AE.

1. Import your EXR file with Cryptomatte channels. If you're not sure if Cryptomatte is stored in the file properly, try the samples on the Cryptomatte GitHub.

2. Select the EXR footage and run Create ProEXR Layer Comps from the File menu (will be there is ProEXR AE was installed).

At this point you should have a Cryptomatte comp set up, among other comps. If you go into the Cryptomatte comp you can select the Cryptomatte effect and then click in the comp window to make selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I'm doing all of this, but I'm not getting a result.

(Windows 10, AE 2018 15.1 Build 166)

I've selected the effect, and I'm clicking in the viewport, the selection values change (see image below) but nothing is changing in the viewport at all. I've tried changing the Output to "Matte Only", "Matted RGBA", and "Matted Colors", and none of those are making a difference.

I feel like an idiot, like I'm missing something obvious.

Perhaps a short video tutorial could be created, so that we can see what the final results should look like?

Thanks,

Luke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the problem is. I just tried it on a fresh computer with a similar setup and everything worked as expected.

One thing is I'd expect the Cryptomatte plug-in to have something entered for Layer and Manifest if you set it up with Create ProEXR Layer Comps, but there's nothing. The plug-in should still work though, and I guess it's seeing something if it's entering values in the selection field.

Can you send me a project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing: in your screenshot it looks like your effects is applied to a layer in the "bunny_CryptoMaterial assemble" comp. The plug-in that should be set up for you would be on the layer in the "uCryptoMaterial Cryptomatte source" comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that last tip you provided there in opening up the "uCryptoMaterial Cryptomatte source" comp got it working for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Looking forward to working with this! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fnordware for your work on this - and ProEXR in general. Indespensible tools for those of us using 3D + EXR + AE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines