• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switching to B&W treatment changes profile to Adobe Monochrome. Camera monochrome disables B&W channel mixer

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi *,

noticed following odd behaviour in LR classic:

1. When switching "Treatment" to "Black & White" the profile is changed to "Adobe Monochrome" (so any settings - esp. contrast from a "Camera Landscape" profile is lost) - is that a bug or a feature?
    At least for photos that I worked on in earlier versions of LR classic show e.g. "Camera Landscape B&W"
  2. When changing to "Camera Monochrome", channel mixer is off. Seems, this is only happening when using "Camera Monochrome", with other BW profiles it seems to work. Why?
"The picture must be made now.", Tim Carpenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently a camera matching colour profile emulates a camera which has adjusted colours in a certain way internally BEFORE it reaches LR.

And a mono camera matching profile emulates a camera which has mono converted the image internally BEFORE it reaches LR.

So Camera Monochrome works as if you'd imported a mono JPG rather than a colour JPG, even when it's a Raw. This seems to me an odd, backwards step.

And the interface does not distinguish these different sorts of profiles clearly.

And I don't think LR should be substituting profiles, silently, when you haven't asked it to, anyway.

My own approach to B&W conversion continues to be: leave the image in colour mode!

This retains all of LR's adjustments available as normal, based on any camera matching OR non camera matching profile you like. (I am fine about not getting an Auto B&W mix, preferring to do that myself).

I find this best via a simple preset (one of my very few) which sets all HSL panel Saturation sliders to zero. Your HSL panel Luminance sliders now become in effect, the "colour mixer" that you would have otherwise seen if in B&W mode. And Hue sliders, WB and Vibrance and such still subtly modulate the input which this "colour mixer" is seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, Richard - using the HSL panel is a good hint!

The "Camera monochrome" profile seems to be odd (or broken) in my case - my workaround so far was to use other monochrome profiles.

"The picture must be made now.", Tim Carpenter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines