• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom [closed abnormally. Now "unable to open Catalog because another application already has it open”]

New Here ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the middle of editing a group of photos and the computer accidentally got unplugged, ever since then every time I try and start Lightroom I get this error message

“ Lightroom catalog named “Light Catalog “ cannot be opened because another application already has it open”

i have restarted my computer & and uninstall and reinstalled It and still get the same messag.  Can someone please offer step by step instructions on how to fix this, please????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

When Lightroom closes abnormally, it leaves behind all a lock file that is tied to the catalog. You'll need to use Finder or File Explorer depending on your operating system, and open the folder that contains your catalog and locate the file with the extension .lock. It will have the same filename as your catalog. You will need to delete that lock file, and ONLY that lock file. After that you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom closes abnormally, it leaves behind all a lock file that is tied to the catalog. You'll need to use Finder or File Explorer depending on your operating system, and open the folder that contains your catalog and locate the file with the extension .lock. It will have the same filename as your catalog. You will need to delete that lock file, and ONLY that lock file. After that you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!! Thank you both so much!! HALLELUJAH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.  So everything is up and running like norma, but I’ve lost all my presets that I have purchase, any idea how to retrieve them?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be better if you would post this issue as a new post, since it is different than the original post. In addition you have marked the post as correctly answered and its unlikely it will attract many views.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide you with a solution to your problem. Have you updated to the latest version i.e. LR Classic CC 7.3.1 as I believe there were some bugs fixes relative to presets released with this update.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines