Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPad rating workflow

Contributor ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just returned from a vacation with 2500 raw pics and have imported them into my desktop Lightroom classic CC.

My question is - is there an easy way to upload / sync small thumbnails of all these pictures to my ipad lightroom, so that I can look through all of them and rate them on the ipad instead of on the mac?

My understanding is that if I put the pics in a synced collection, it actually tries to upload the raws, which would take AGES. Or am I wrong ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

No, Lightroom Classic uploads smart previews, which is perfect for this kind of workflow. Just sync the images, rate them on the iPad, and the ratings will sync back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Lightroom Classic uploads smart previews, which is perfect for this kind of workflow. Just sync the images, rate them on the iPad, and the ratings will sync back.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet, thank you! It sill takes ages to upload though, as it seems. There's no way to determine the size of the smart previews, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, smart previews are always 2540 pixels wide.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and is it possible on the mobile app to filter by star ratings, like on desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is possible.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - after hours and hours of syncing, indeed, all my 2500 pics are on the iPad and wow - lightroom mobile has come a loooong way since I last checked, even upright is available now, nice!

But I see one problem remains - the lack of custom development presets, or am I overlooking something? Is there a way to load them into the lightroom app? It seems odd that now there are all these camera “profiles” that behave somehow like presets, but the real development presets are unavailable... just why?

And do you maybe have some advice on a workflow the other way around, ingesting data on the shoot via the sd card reader into the iPad and then from there later to the Mac? Is that even possible? Gathering the raws and moving them over to the Mac library? Or is that complete nonsense..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

chfilm  wrote

Thank you - after hours and hours of syncing, indeed, all my 2500 pics are on the iPad and wow - lightroom mobile has come a loooong way since I last checked, even upright is available now, nice!

But I see one problem remains - the lack of custom development presets, or am I overlooking something? Is there a way to load them into the lightroom app? It seems odd that now there are all these camera “profiles” that behave somehow like presets, but the real development presets are unavailable... just why?

And do you maybe have some advice on a workflow the other way around, ingesting data on the shoot via the sd card reader into the iPad and then from there later to the Mac? Is that even possible? Gathering the raws and moving them over to the Mac library? Or is that complete nonsense..?

Develop presets are not synched yet, but I'm sure that will come one day. Same for profiles.

Yes, you can import images directly into Lightroom CC on the iPad and let it go the other way. Images imported in Lightroom CC will be uploaded to the cloud as originals, and automatically downloaded into Lightroom Classic. If you import them into an existing album, they will show up in the corresponding synched collection in Lightroom (in the folder panel you will see your iPad as a separate 'device', like a separate hard disk. You can change that in the preferences if you don't want that). If you don't import into an album, then they will show in a newly created 'From Mobile' collection.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines