• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Develop Presets - Now you see them, now you don’t!

New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following (on a Mac):

• Select an image in the LR Develop module.  In my case this is a NEF file.
  • Go to the “Presets” panel and create a new preset, for example:

Present name:  Test

Group:  User Presets

It doesn’t matter what this preset does, so you can just click on “Check All” followed by “Create”.

• Check the Presets panel and confirm that “Test” is listed in the “User Presets” group.
  • Ctrl-click on the image and from the contextual menu select Edit in > Edit in Photoshop CC 2018.
  • If Photoshop was not already open it will launch and open your file.
  • Save and close the file.

You don’t have to do anything to the file.  In my PS and LR preferences these actions will save the the image as a PSD file stacked with the original in LR.

• Go back to LR, find and select the newly saved PSD file.  It should be right next to the original NEF image in the filmstrip or grid view of the Library module.
  • Switch to the Develop module.
  • Look for the “Test” preset in the User Preset group.

“Test” is missing!  It has disappeared or, at least, is no longer available for use with the PSD file. Now, in the filmstrip at the bottom of the window select the original NEF file. Presto!  The “Test” preset reappears!  Click on the PSD file and it disappears again.

Note:  In the “Presets” tab of LR Preferences it make no difference whether or not “Store presets with this catalog” is checked but f it is checked then if you go to the catalog folder - “LR Catalog” in my case - then you will should be able to find “Test.xmp”.

LR Catalog > Lightroom Settings > Settings > User Presets > Test.xmp

Does anyone know what’s going on and how I can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Simple. When you checked all, you also checked 'Treatment and Profile'. By doing that, you made your preset work for raw files only (because you included a raw profile in the preset). That's why it does not show when you have a non-raw file selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple. When you checked all, you also checked 'Treatment and Profile'. By doing that, you made your preset work for raw files only (because you included a raw profile in the preset). That's why it does not show when you have a non-raw file selected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, and thank-you for the information.  I do, however, have another concern.  In creating a preset, if you check any of the boxes in the "Color" section of the dialog box, i.e., "Saturation", "Vibrance", or "Color Adjustments" this automatically checks the "Treatment and Profile" box which means that any preset involving any of these three commonly employed colour adjustments will never be available to a non-raw file.  Is this truly the intent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Cliff  wrote

Fair enough, and thank-you for the information.  I do, however, have another concern.  In creating a preset, if you check any of the boxes in the "Color" section of the dialog box, i.e., "Saturation", "Vibrance", or "Color Adjustments" this automatically checks the "Treatment and Profile" box which means that any preset involving any of these three commonly employed colour adjustments will never be available to a non-raw file.  Is this truly the intent?

No, I believe this is a bug. Adobe knows about it and is looking into it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In creating a preset, if you check any of the boxes in the "Color" section of the dialog box, i.e., "Saturation", "Vibrance", or "Color Adjustments" this automatically checks the "Treatment and Profile" box which means that any preset involving any of these three commonly employed colour adjustments will never be available to a non-raw file. 

Please add your constructive opinion to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic 7.3.1: Automaticly checking Treatment & Profile box when i check some of color adj... . Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner -- this will make it a little more likely Adobe will consider this a bug and prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the status changes.  While an Adobe employee has acknowledged the behavior, they haven't explicitly acknowledged in the bug report that it is a bug. There are a number of issues with the new preset implementation that many users consider problematic but that were deliberate changes by Adobe. So your feedback matters.

I'll be releasing a script soon that will remove the Treatment & Profile settings from these presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank-you for your prompt and attentive response.  I have done as you requested and look forward to further (pardon the pun) developments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines