• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving brush strokes with a graduated filter

New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to move the brush strokes associated with a graduated filter i.e. move the graduated filter and have its brush strokes follow or move the strokes separately. Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The x/y positions of graduate filter adjustment brushes seem to be locked. They also don't seem moveable when Lightroom object is put into Photoshop. It seems "wrong" - why would one want to move the filter and adjustments differentially?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joefry99  wrote

The x/y positions of graduate filter adjustment brushes seem to be locked. They also don't seem moveable when Lightroom object is put into Photoshop. It seems "wrong" - why would one want to move the filter and adjustments differentially?

For the following reason: suppose you have added a graduated filter, to darken the sky. Because the filter also darkens a building, you brushed out that building. Now you decide to change the filter a bit. Perhaps you want to make the graduated zone wider or smaller, and because you’ve done that you may also want to move up (or down) the entire filter a bit. Would you want to move the brushed area as well in that case? No, of course not. That building is not moving, so you don’t want the brushed mask to move in relation to the building either.

This is what (almost) always happens. You brush something in relation to the image, not to the filter. So if you change the position of the filter, you would normally not want to change the position of the brushed area as well.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your comments. I have a panning time-lapse sequence. The mountains I do not want effected by the graduated filter move along the y axis as the sequence pans. It would have been very helpful if I could have brushed these areas out and moved those stokes with the filter as the sequence panned. Unfortunately, those brush strokes seem to be fixed which will make editing much more difficult. I will see what I can do with the range mask but this will be challenging due to the changing light and colours in the sky

If there are any Adobe staff members reading this, it would be great to have an option to move graduated filter brush strokes with the filter if so desired

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you should try using the new Range Mask feature to exclude the mountains. That does update itself when you copy/paste the local adjustment between images.

To file a feature request, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines