• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC slow scrolling and animations.

Participant ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

So, I changed computer to a 2017 i7 iMac and on this machine the scrolling is unbearable slow. At this moment I have about 1000 photos there and if I go to the "All Photos" tab, everything slows to a crawl. The scroll takes ages and the panels animations to open/close are in slow motion.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm saving locally both the originals and the smart previews and I didn't imposed any % to limit the space Lightroom can use.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing, I didn't had this problem on my MBP that Is from 2011! It was not the smoothest experience ever and there was some choppiness, but nowhere near what I'm getting on this machine. Plus its 7 years older. On the laptop I had only the previews stored locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, no one else has this problem? Slow scrolling on the new Lightroom CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem on 2016 MBP 15“ (best processor available, dedicated radeon graphics).

My assumption is, the problem is worse on Retina Screens. The Scolling in the Laptop itsself is really bad, but if you put lightroom on a 5K Display, you can scroll up and down some times, then lay back and watch the conputer executing the scrolling inputs the next 15 seconds.

I think Adobe does not care, as their Software usually is an UX Desaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on a brand new 2017 MacBook Pro 15", 16 GB RAM etc. Very slow/choppy scrolling.

Scrolling on my old 2011 MacBook Pro is nice and smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning down the resolution definitely helps a lot!

Interestingly, the number of photos shown in the grid view does not seem to impact scrolling significantly, but screen resolution definitely does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue. Scrolling is unbearably choppy and most other actions are quite slow, this is all on a new 4K iMac. I see better performance on my 6 year old MacBook Air.

I can understand launching a product that doesn't replicate all of the features of the tool that it's replacing, but I can't appreciate launching something that doesn't even function properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on a late 2015 5k iMac. All photos stored locally and scrolling stutters. The difference is night and day when compared to Apple Photos, both of which have similar library size. Disappointing that Adobe can't get this right when Apple's free program can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 week old MacBook Air (10.13.2)

AND

3 week old iMac (10.13.2)

Neither has anything remotely close to what you experience.

Seems (IMO) that if something were wrong with the software we would all experience the problem.

The software doesn't change from user to user.

99% of the time problems arise, the cause is a system, and/or user settings of preference settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just installed Lightroom CC it is doing a lot of background stuff check activity monitor. It is probably either uploading everything or downloading everything. Wait until that ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem on a brand new imac pro with ssd. the interface jerks so much, i can't believe it. i don't pay so much money for my many adobe licenses to not be able to work anymore. that just doesn't work. we are professional designers and photographers, it can't get 5 times worse than before? with what responsibility do you dare to let us make these updates and changes? we earn our money with these programs, how about you can't drive your cars after an update, or your coffee machines only brew cold coffee for an update because they heat too slowly? no no no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with Mac OS 13.

Photo Grid is very slow. Square Grid runs much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the new MacBook Pro and thought I'd try CC again, and I'm seeing this on the brand new machine as well. It's a shame really, I hope Adobe fixes it. The beauty of Lightroom CC is that I can let Adobe automatically store all my older photos in the cloud and don't have to worry about hard drive space. It's also a much cleaner UI than Classic. But the current performance is not even close to acceptable.

Any thoughts on what we can do to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start using the competition and at some point, they will notice.   How much smaller companies can do a much better job on mac software is a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning the Graphics Processor ON or OFF in Lightroom CC’s Preferences help in any way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all talking about LR Cc, or the Classic?  Sounds like not Classic, no such all photos in Classic. You might get better answers in the correct forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello david,

i'm talking clearly about lightroom classic cc. my whole interface stutters. i use a very fast imac pro with a lot of memory, ssd hd + turbo fast thunderbolt raid drives for high-end movie editing. huston, adobe has a big big problem with lightroom classic cc on my imac pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, with that in mind, I re-read your original post.

"All Photos"

would that be in Import?

context on my experience

I have an 15inch MAC Book Pro Retina 2015, that I use when on a photo vacation. I use an external HD with Thunderbolt, a simple mobile one by G Tech, LR on internal drive, including Camera RAW CACHE, catalog on external drive.

On a recent photo trip, I imported 1200 images. I did not have your issue. And obviously you have a better rig..(was about to get into long story on context on import method due to camera being a X-T3, lousy LR RAW conversion, but thats not your point)

One little possible difference, High Sierra, not Mojave (if yours??)

Wordy, perhaps unnecessary jabber about workflow and experience with it:

Ok, back to the context I did not harp on and on about in my recent photo trip. As my camera is a Fuji X-T3, and Lightrooms RAW conversion sucks (also ACR a,d Adobe DNG suck for this camera at this time), I use a third party RAW converter (Iridient X-Transformer), Now I would not have imported the original RAW files into LR via Import, nor the resultant DNG files that Iridient creates, But, for both (yes I keep the RAW files as well as the DNG) I would have copied them into a per-created folder (created in LR, in my catalog) using Finder, then in LR accomplished a folder sync. I do not remember any issue at that point. No shutter, not painfully slow. Preview creation set at default. And yes, GPU used...

Oh, yes the Iridient is slow as molasses, not Adobe's fault, not Apples fault. _

Q) Inquiry, if you just import, (copy), and create absolutely no previews including smart previews, does things improve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you have video skills (I have zip, nadda), Would a short video from you to demonstrate your issue help us understand????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines