• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MP4 files are importing as audio, and this makes no sense

Explorer ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 26 .MP4 files that were captured sequentially with the same camera over the course of a single afternoon.

When I import these particular files into Premiere Pro, the first 8 files import normally, as videos. However, the remaining 18 files appear as audio-only files. Obviously, I need these 18 files to import correctly.

This is the same camera and memory card configuration that I use to record events with on a regular basis. I follow a standard procedure to edit these videos in Premiere Pro and have never encountered this problem before now.

This makes no sense to me at all. Any proper solution or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Transcoding these files into another format will not be an acceptable solution. If that is the best answer, I will not hesitate to cancel my CC subscription and switch over to Resolve full time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

I am officially cancelling my CC subscription. For the record, this WAS the last straw. Importing files is a FUNDAMENTAL task and if Premiere Pro can not handle 26 identically formatted .mp4 files as the same file type, I don't know what else to say. It is literally the first step of any post production process, and I can not put my job and time at risk because of software that simply DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim_Simon

Yes

MacBook Pro (Mid 2015)

OSX 10.11.6 (15G20015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John T Smith

I am pretty sure that all the files are formatted the same way, as they are .mp4 videos, recorded in the same batch, and I did not make any changes to any settings over the course of the day other than audio levels and aperture adjustments. Media Info doesn't show anything other than that they are all video files. They all open as normal videos in quicktime, vlc, etc. The problem almost certainly lies with how Premiere is importing the files.

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 6.06.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-12 at 6.07.05 PM.png

Premiere seems to be saying that the first 8 video files are "MPEG Movies," while the latter 18 audio files are "Quicktime Movies."

This is nonsensical to me, because:

1) They are all identically formatted .MP4 files

2) Both file types (Quicktime and MPEG) are movie files, the properties window has video specs for both file types, and yet the "Quicktime Movies" only function as audio files

3) All 26 files can import without issue into Resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this exact problem currently. Have you found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compare the details of good & bad files

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

- if you analyze your file in MediaInfo and post a screen shot in the forum, do so in TREE view

On my last vacation I didn't notice that I had bumped a setting dial until I got home, and some of my videos were recorded with a different setting... size/aspect ratio, not sound/video, but still a problem that I didn't catch while recording

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am officially cancelling my CC subscription. For the record, this WAS the last straw. Importing files is a FUNDAMENTAL task and if Premiere Pro can not handle 26 identically formatted .mp4 files as the same file type, I don't know what else to say. It is literally the first step of any post production process, and I can not put my job and time at risk because of software that simply DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines