• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wird behaviour after pasting settings

New Here ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After pasting settings of a previous picture (on a sigle or on multiple pictures) the White and Highlight controls are acting weirdly: the highest white in the histogram is like capped to a value and the effects of the two cursor are unpredictable. Shadows and blacks are is working normally.

I tried resetting only the Tone controls but is not working.

I have to go back in the history the step before I past the the settings to get a normal behaviour.

Unfortunately this means I cannot use anymore the past settings command that is a mandatory feature of LR.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

I checked this further it it does appear to be due to the Modern 02 profile containing a Tone Curve setting as I described above. Modern 8 compresses the Black point and Modern 9 & 10 compresses both ends. I guess it's OK for an "artistic" effect, but can be confusing since it prevents setting White point and/or Black point to clipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out (obviously just after posting...) this was linked with the profile Modern 02 i was pasting (among the others many controls). This behaviour is not linked with pasting settings but evidently how this profile is setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adrianom84664418  wrote

After pasting settings of a previous picture (on a sigle or on multiple pictures) the White and Highlight controls are acting weirdly: the highest white in the histogram is like capped to a value and the effects of the two cursor are unpredictable. Shadows and blacks are is working normally.

I tried resetting only the Tone controls but is not working.

This usually due to the Tone Curve's White end point being positioned below 100% vertically as shown below. It may have nothing to do with the camera profile and just the Tone Curve setting in the image file being copied. In general you don't want to do this with either Tone Curve end point.

Tone Curve.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably this happen within the Modern 02 profile (may be others, i don't know) because this happen as soon I (and I believe you) change profile without any other changes including the Tone curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked this further it it does appear to be due to the Modern 02 profile containing a Tone Curve setting as I described above. Modern 8 compresses the Black point and Modern 9 & 10 compresses both ends. I guess it's OK for an "artistic" effect, but can be confusing since it prevents setting White point and/or Black point to clipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree can be confusing.

Also because it is not true that 'the full capabilities of adjustments are still retained' as declared.

And if you look the highlight cursor, it is even more confusing, sometimes it is acting at the opposite of the normal situation getting darker moving on the right! (Modern 02)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

adrianom84664418  wrote

And if you look the highlight cursor, it is even more confusing, sometimes it is acting at the opposite of the normal situation getting darker moving on the right! (Modern 02)

The Process Version 3 & 4 Tone controls are Image adaptive. When the Tone Curve end-points are moved vertically from 0% and 100% the dynamic range of the image is restricted, which can cause the behavior you are seeing. That's why I said, "In general you don't want to do this with either Tone Curve end point. I believe Adobe's objective with the new "Creative" profiles is to provide a mix of color and toning settings that can be used with minimal manual adjustments. The adjustments they apply are hidden so it provides a "clean settings" starting point if you do need to make some "minor" adjustments. For more information on the new "enhanced" profiles and how to create your own download the Profiles SDK (April 2018) ZIP file at the below link:

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines