• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating to Premiere Pro Cc 2018 12.1.0 turned my footage upside down...

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remarkable, after 10 years or so of using Premiere pro, this is my first post...

However, it's not been smooth sailing all those years but I'm an advanced enough user to find my way around most issues that arise...

but not this!

This is the first time that I'd say Premiere has been truly broken! 

So the fail:

I have a project which uses a whole host of smartphone footage, a vox pops of around 40 people who say a few words each. Anyway, previous incarnation of Premiere dealt with this easily - I had a few items which weren't showing up in our viewing sessions using basic file player apps, but Premiere showed them all, no muss no fuss, just got on an edited it.

Then I Updated to 12.1.0 and when reviewing the project it shows some of the footage upside down... for no reason I can fathom ( although I suspect it no longer auto corrects orientation of mp4s)...hmmm a bug you'd think.

So a quick uninstall and reinstall of 12.0.0, the version that worked)...and now that footage is no longer available. It can't be re-linked and it can't be viewed. So my project which luckily I already delivered to the client, is broken, and if they come back for changes I'm think I'll need to EDL the project over to...God forbid..FCP or maybe Avid?

I've checked all the footage with windows 10 video player app (sheesh!) and even that can see the files fine, but Premiere? It can't see the files at all !

Something big got broken here and as usual it's all quiet on the Adobe front.

If anyone can help out here great, but I suspect this is a mystery to all but Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Hi Tomas - thanks for that, but i've already cleaned out and freshly installed everything system-wise.

As far as I can tell the system is fine with no legacy memory/cache issues.

There's something in the codecs and their implementation which seems to have changed in this version..maybe..who knows.

I've stuck with the update and simply rotated the images to correct the errors and I'll see how it goes from there.

New Resolve looks interesting...... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting Media Cache and Media Cache Files  - AND - most importantly - purge Cache folders located in

"C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\"

Somehow Premiere keeps .ims files in System disk, and after migrating to different Premiere version problems occur.

I encountered this problem after each update and every time this trick solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tomas - thanks for that, but i've already cleaned out and freshly installed everything system-wise.

As far as I can tell the system is fine with no legacy memory/cache issues.

There's something in the codecs and their implementation which seems to have changed in this version..maybe..who knows.

I've stuck with the update and simply rotated the images to correct the errors and I'll see how it goes from there.

New Resolve looks interesting...... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

Yes, Resolve does look interesting Playback speed is outstanding and Color module - amazing.

But not everything flawless in their "departments" too...

And no real alternative for AfterEffects and Audition yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tomas, Take a fresh look. They've added a full version of 'Fusion' compositor and 'Fairlight' audio suite all in one hit.

It's only beta for now, but well worth a look.

Agreed that no software is without it's issues and user community is invaluable. I think the pressures of a subscription model can drive engineers to release way too soon, plus Adobe are about to run into Apple's old problem -  please the consumers or please the professionals, it's hard to do both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

Sorry for delay.

I did try new Davinci 15 beta and the first thing I tried was audio ducking (or side chaining) in Fairlight. Still not working...

In other words - it looks promising on paper, but in real world it still a fully functional bundle. And Fusion isn't really an alternative to After Effects (for compositing - yes).

Also - round trip Resolve -> Premiere is also somewhat broken...

I tried completing one project in Resolve, but ended up in Adobe (although color grading was done in Resolve).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this occurred to you, IanH. I have seen this error happen to others that updated their projects to the new version with "vertical video" clips. In the future, you may want to remain on the Premiere Pro version your project began with, which may not be so practical, but it's a safer way to bring projects to completion.

Let us know if you have any other issues and we'll try to help. You can also file a bug here: Premiere Pro: Hot (873 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

There are complaints about Premier Pro 12.1 and 12.1.1 all over the internet. Creative Cow is loaded with them, as are your boards: and the issues are VERY consistent; like legit video coming in as audio only.

Some users have been so hurt on their projects, they actually want amnesty from Adobe's monthly fees in payment for their many lost hours.

This has been a real bad one sir.

I have the utmost respect for you.

Please address this, and let us know when we can expect a fix from Adobe. This has been going on for at least 45-50 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a timeline of iPhone 6 footage - I just upgraded and everything is upside down. Hm. An easy fix I think but strange none the less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

I have more or less the same problem. Everything looks okay at the timeline but not once I started to export. Some clips are inverted even at the preview. I can do nothing now as I can't export video at all... Anyone can help??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem after the April Premiere Pro upgrade, several clips in an edit I had previously exported with no issues now export upside down!  How disappointing, we would expect Adobe to properly test before releasing an update.  I had to go into my timeline and rotate the affected clips 180 degrees.  VERY UNPROFESSIONAL ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround below and hope it may be useful for some people.

I have the same issue for videos, Pr created in projects v12.0.1 after upgraded to v12.1.1 (Build 10), get inverted (turned upside down). Not all the videos are inverted. Further investigation, even for the same camera with same settings, some of them are inverted and some are not. It happens randomly.

- Clearing Cache does not resolve this issue.

- Imported the same "upside down video" to my project and it shows up correctly.

My workaround:

- Make all videos "offline" and click "Link Media". Then all videos show up correctly.

If you are not sure how to do it, I have created a video here: Workaround Video/Image Turned Upside Down in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 v12.1.1 (English) - YouTube

If you want to get Adobe's attention to fix this issue, please vote here: https://goo.gl/hzpUrx

I suspect in the 12.1.1, Adobe implemented a new way to import video and forgot to implement to the project conversion.

Hopefully, Adobe will fix it ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My system is Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Thomas! This worked like magic!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines