• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse in violation with General Data Protection Regulation (EU) ?

New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a website with Adobe Muse,

Is there any violation going on regarding General Data Protection Regulation of the EU?

See: General Data Protection Regulation - Wikipedia

I mean, the javascripts in the background sends info of the client/viewer to Adobe, I assume.

Next to that, what about those widgets, like Social Media Plugins,, where you can embed a Share to Facebook/Twitter/etc. on your site like

https://www.muse-themes.com/products/social-sharing-group

or even Social Links to enhance Google's SEO, like: https://musewidgets.com/collections/j-26-com/products/social-links

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

bascurtiz  wrote

I mean, the javascripts in the background sends info of the client/viewer to Adobe, I assume.

no

bascurtiz  wrote

Next to that, what about those widgets, like Social Media Plugins,, where you can embed a Share to Facebook/Twitter/etc. on your site like

or even Social Links to enhance Google's SEO, like: https://musewidgets.com/collections/j-26-com/products/social-links

Facebook/ twitter and Google all collect data that could

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have pointed out in other discussions, the legal requirerments for website owners, (and those who build the site for them) are changing. It is no longer a 'do what you want' profession.

It is for you as the sites creator, and the site owner to decide if you are breaking any regulations.

One of the reasons Adobe may have had for EOL'ing Muse, may have been the imposibility to update Muse to match planned legal requirerments, (especially in the EU). But in all cases you are as far as your client is concerned, the expert, and as far as data protection is concerned, providing you do not publish or collect any personal information you do not have to worry.

However even if you only collect information from one single user, or store any data on the users computer, then you and your client must ensure you comply to the regulations, (all appropriate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get up to speed on what you as the site's creator need to know about regulations.  Adobe is not going to do this for you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do hope that the entire Muse framework does not collect any data and sends it to Adobe...

That would make me responsible for sharing data

...and I'd have to re-create the site (this time not based on Adobe Muse platform)

Hence my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• As far as I know, Adobe does not collect user data from Muse generated web sites.
  • If you use third party widgets, you would need to ask them directly.
  • If you use Google Analytics tracking code, you should at the very least have a privacy policy and cookie statement on your site.

If you can insert JavaScript into your Muse pages, there are several free cookie bar scripts you can use.

https://cookieconsent.insites.com/

jquery.cookiebar

https://www.npmjs.com/package/cookie-bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Muse created site is just html, css and javascript. Everything else is what you as the site creator adds.

Only you know what is being collected from the user, or if you are using 'cookies' to store data on the users computer. Unfortunatly I have not seen anything beyond the official information posted on the web, but I did get a briefing from the legal dept head of the organisation I worked for, (before retiring) just over 2years ago regarding what was required for our application.

If you have a commercial site, sell anything, or collect any information from anyone, (not just from the web) then you should at least look at the overview of the requirerments, and know about any upcomming requirerments.

To advise you further than that would be wrong, as only you and a qualified EU legal expert, (you will not find one on the web, no matter what anyone tells you) can advise you. You could read up on the requirerments yourself, but I will warn you, that the 'short' briefing I got, lasted over 3 hrs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

...I will warn you, that the 'short' briefing I got, lasted over 3 hrs.

Heh, heh...  This whole thing is a  money grab for the legal profession.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

pziecina   wrote

...I will warn you, that the 'short' briefing I got, lasted over 3 hrs.

Heh, heh...  This whole thing is a  money grab for the legal profession.

Especially when one realises that the regulation applies to anything from a contact form on a personal small business website, to a full blown commercial site selling everything imaginable and making billions.

The big problem for many though, is that unlike previous regulations which only applied to new sites built after the official notice of the regulation was published, this one applies to ALL sites that collect information no matter how old the site is. Add to that the accesibility regulation requirerments, and I think the 'casual' web site creator, (typical Muse, Dreamweaver, wordpress, etc users) are living on borrowed time in the EU, or anyone living outside the EU, but trading in the EU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bascurtiz  wrote

no

bascurtiz  wrote

Facebook/ twitter and Google all collect data that could become an issue under the new laws... in fact any network traffic at all could be seen as an issue because it is all recorded at some point, forum taffic, CC library files, email, sms and mobile phone are the main ones but there is also things like banking data and GPS location + what movies you have purchased on Microsoft store and the fact that you have XYZ drivers installed on your device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines