• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import only .jpg images into LR - No raw files

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have done this somehow before - older version of LR maybe?

I've got a number of directories which have always had .jpg and raw files in them, but when I click "synchronize" in LR, it shows "new" files, which are the old raw files that have been there since before the .JPG versions.

I don't use LR to develop raw.

So I'd prefer that LR not even import those raw files, or at a bare minimum, not display them in the Library view - only .jpg.

I've got lots more raw than .jpg, so I'd prefer to leave the raw files out of LR completely, to speed things up.

Can't figure out why some of my combo directories show only .jpg, and others show both .jpg and raw...

Thanks for any tips.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

johnl3280495  wrote

I use Capture One to develop RAW, exporting as .JPG, which I'm considering letting LR keep track of.

Not using LR start to finish was never intended by Adobe - I get it - but I want to make sure I give it a fair shot before abandoning consideration of it.

You can accomplish both your initial JPEG import and ongoing folder Sync using the LR Import module.

1) Select the folder(s) you want to import or Sync only JPEG files. You can also check 'Include Subfolders' (just below 'Sourc

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the easiest way would be to use your system browser (Finder on the Mac or File Explorer in Windows) and sort the images by file type and copy them to a folder on your hard drive. Then import them to Lightroom using the Add option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I am aware that I can do it a number of ways (such as the way you point out), but I was hoping that LR could figure out how to do it, without me having to re-arrange directory structures I don't want to rearrange, or copy my copies somewhere else, or repeat a certain pre-procedure every time I simply want to add files to LR.

I take it then you are saying that it can't be done - period - w/out file system manipulation prior to import?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim is not manipulating the file system. He is just sorting the files a different way and then dragging just the jpegs into Lightroom. Nothing happens to the file system to do that. There is no easy filter in the Lightroom import panel unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood - but I'm just trying to avoid all file-system level interaction if possible.

For me, a huge issue with using LR is having to import anything - period, much less having to specifically sort / select individual files each time you do it (which is frequently).

I don't use LR for my RAW developing, so that is a major thing affecting the complication of LR, and I understand most users only use LR from start to finish (the way Adobe I'm sure intended).

So the import process for me is when I import my RAW files from memory card to Capture One. .JPG exports are then stored in the same file-system-organized directories as the RAW files they originated from, for simplicity. Hence the need to filter out / exclude the RAWs from the App I use for .JPG viewing / cataloging / web uploading etc...

There are several programs out there where you can set a group of "watch" folders, and anything you put in there, via any program, OS or otherwise, shows up in your app filtered "catalog" (which is really just a reflection of whats on your HDD, sorted and displayed to your specs).

LR is probably not for me, but as I mentioned earlier, I want to at least make sure I understand the basics of what it can and can't do before crossing it off my list.

To all - thanks for the help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to your question lies in using the Sort order or the Filter in the Library module. Search on the raw files and remove them thereby leaving the jpgs.

Wondering why you prefer using jpg over RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Capture One to develop RAW, exporting as .JPG, which I'm considering letting LR keep track of.

I wish there was one program that I could use to do all of it, but my results with RAW and LR consistently come up short -vs- Capture One.

Not using LR start to finish was never intended by Adobe - I get it - but I want to make sure I give it a fair shot before abandoning consideration of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnl3280495  wrote

You can accomplish both your initial JPEG import and ongoing folder Sync using the LR Import module.

1) Select the folder(s) you want to import or Sync only JPEG files. You can also check 'Include Subfolders' (just below 'Source) if applicable.

2) At the top of the Grid select 'Add' and 'New Photos.'

3) At the bottom of the Grid click on 'Uncheck All,' change 'Sort' to 'File Type,' select the first JPEG file, hold down the Shift key and click on the last JPEG file and check one of them. All of the new JPEG files that need importing should now be selected.

4) Select any 'File Handling' or 'Apply During Input' options you want to use.

5) At the bottom of the Grid next to 'Import Preset' select 'Save current settings as a new preset' and give it a descriptive name (Add Only JPEG Files). In the future you simply select this preset to insure all of the Import settings are correct.

5) Click on the 'Import' button.

6) Done!

If all of your C1 edited raw and JPEG files are in a single folder tree, AND you want to insure ALL of the contained JPEGs are kept current inside LR, simply select the Import module top-level folder and check 'Include Subfolders. Then follow the above Import process. It takes but a few seconds.

It sounds way more complicated than it actually is to execute and use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo - Thank you very much.

I'd imported some this way before, but somehow forgotten exactly how.

Your concise explanation is just what I needed.

That's certainly easier, for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...But I see going back to "refresh" a directory that I've added .jpg files to, even selecting the import preset, all files in the directory are checked / selected for import - even the raws. They are sorted so the "new" jpgs are at the end of the list, but still not ideal.

Thought the preset would also select only the jpg files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnl3280495  wrote

Thought the preset would also select only the jpg files?

No the Import preset applies only the "settings" changes. You'll still need to follow the instruction in 3) above to manually select just the JPEG files. If you click the icon next to 'Sort' from A>Z to Z>A it will move the JPEG files to the top of list making it easier to select them. It still should only take a few seconds. I just tested this and the Import preset doesn't include the 'Sort Type' or 'Order,' but it will remember those settings the next time you use. This shouldn't be an issue since won't be changing the Import settings.

I've never used C1, but just be aware of the possibility for metadata conflicts on both sides if saving things like keywords or develop settings to the JPEG file. If you want to do this there are workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - you're right - some metadata xfers, some doesn't. Was aware of this prior, but not a big deal for my purposes.

LR isn't alone in it's limited ability to deal with / display RAW and JPG - several other Apps I'm trialing also have similar limitations.

Thus I'm going to split out .jpg and .arw files into their own directories.

Have resisted doing this for years, but I think it will help more than it hurts all things considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnl3280495  wrote

Yep - you're right - some metadata xfers, some doesn't. Was aware of this prior, but not a big deal for my purposes.

John, the metadata conflict I was talking about is when a file is written to outside the app (C1 or LR). The original app's metadata (if any) is over-written, lost, and detected as a metadata conflict. The workaround is to only use one (1) app to write metadata to the file and keep the other apps in sync by performing a metadata "read" operation when it detects a conflict. Putting the ARW and JPEG files in separate folders will not make this issue go away.

We know you're editing the raw files in C1 and exporting them to JPEGs. What do you intend to do with these JPEG files once imported inside LR? If you can provide more details of your two separate raw and JPEG file workflows and the specific operations you intend to perform in each app we can probably provide more suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific metadata are you speaking of? I haven't seen issue with that to this point, but I don't make much use of the non-exif metadata either (beyond image tagging and color coding), and these I use in only 1 app or the other - I don't look for or use "blue" tags from C1 in LR, for example, as it is something that in my use doesn't apply to anything other than RAW processing.

When I edit anything, I rarely edit .JPG, so I go back to C1 and produce another .jpg, deleting the previous one (which with LR is a bit of a pain, since you have to re-sync the LR library...)

I don't face tag etc... so much of the power that LR has in these and other areas is unneeded in my use case.

I really need more of a viewing / cataloging app, from which I can export to various places or publish (to use LRs term) to the web.

I'm trying out a few other apps that are less Adobe workflow centric, and they may prove to be more suited.

The biggest issue I've had with other apps is that as simple as it seems, it appears difficult to create a "collection" or "gallery" of photos in the  desktop app (not a folder on the local HDD, but a collection of random photos from various folders on that local HDD) and upload that Collection, and keep that Collection synced with the local version, as additions and deletions are made to that local version.

If I could find another app that would do that well I wouldn't even have LR on my machine.

But it seems (although a little convoluted to me) that LR can accomplish this (at least using Smugmug) reasonably well.

Keeping my JPG and ARW files separate will simplify some backup and housekeeping unrelated to LR as well, without causing major issues anywhere else, so it isn't a huge deal.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

johnl3280495  wrote

What specific metadata are you speaking of? I haven't seen issue with that to this point, but I don't make much use of the non-exif metadata either (beyond image tagging and color coding), and these I use in only 1 app or the other - I don't look for or use "blue" tags from C1 in LR, for example, as it is something that in my use doesn't apply to anything other than RAW processing.

Yes, I'm talking about EXIF & IPTC metadata. If you're adding that to the raw files in C1 then the exported JPEG files will have that metadata and be visible inside LR after import. If for some reason you modify any of the EXIF & IPTC metadata inside LR then C1 won't see it unless you use 'Save Metadata to File' (Ctrl + S) AND then 'Read Metadata from File" inside C1. It also works vice-versa. If you're only adding this metadata inside C1 before exporting to JPEG AND never change it then there isn't an issue.

johnl3280495  wrote

The biggest issue I've had with other apps is that as simple as it seems, it appears difficult to create a "collection" or "gallery" of photos in the  desktop app (not a folder on the local HDD, but a collection of random photos from various folders on that local HDD) and upload that Collection, and keep that Collection synced with the local version, as additions and deletions are made to that local version.

I'm surprised C1 can't do this, but I'll take your word for it. No problem doing it in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines