• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSS Grid layout - should I use it or not?

Explorer ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

In this question, I am seeking your opinions on whether or not I should use CSS Grid layout.

Reading about CSS Grid layout immediately smacked me with memories of the awful tabular layouts of 90s websites.  It seems; admittedly at first glance, that this is just an updated type of table layout.  Instead of actually laying out the table in source - this 'grid' layout is just a table defined in CSS.

I will admit that I have not really explored the intricacies of a CSS Grid layout in detail and my conclusion is based solely on a cursory glance.

Have any of you used this?

No doubt some of you have, so could those of you who have please give me your opinions about whether I should be using a CSS Grid layout or not and if so, when it would be appropriate and not appropriate to do so.

To be clear about what I am actually referring to - here is an example:

CSS-Grid-layout - Pastebin.com

Cheers

Jay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaygtel  wrote

so could those of you who have please give me your opinions about whether I should be using a CSS Grid layout or not and if so, when it would be appropriate and not appropriate to do so.

Css grid is an advanced method of layout, nothing like the old tables of the 90s. Is it ready for main-stream production development just yet, not without including fallbacks for those browers without full support but you should get used to it and learn it now because it, combined with Flexbox, which is fully production ready now, will be the future choice layout of professionals in the not too distant future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

css table layouts are what were supposed to replace html table layouts, but that was before the smartphone.

Now if you are doing rwd I would recommend css flexbox. If you are going to use css grid layouts then look at using it for larger tablet, laptop, desktop and larger screens, (though I have only found one smart tv that supports css grid).

For normal/small tablet and smartphone devices, Flexbox is the better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines