• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Make Selection of my path

Explorer ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened an image and created a path (path 1) just like I've done hundreds of times.  With the pen tool, right clicked to "make selection" and nothing happens.  I did a tool reset, and did a PS reboot with CTRL/ALT/SHIFT and get a "No Pixles Selected" warning. 

If I create a new path, and trace out a 2nd shape, right click to "Make Selection" it works.  The 2nd path also looks different in the path window.  What did I do to case this issue? 

PS Path Issue.PNG

Any help is appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Use the direct selection tool to select your path and move one of the points on the patch. What you may see is that you inadvertently duplicated the path and there are now two. Delete one of them and your path preview will show as filled in white... good to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try command clicking they shape layer (in the image preview area)? Also it looks like your path is not a closed path so you will likely get a straight line going across the 2 endpoints of your path to create and close the selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your "command click" instructions.

As far as I know the path is closed.  When I click the path with the pen tool this is what I get.

PS Path Issue 3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have said "Control-Click" since you are on a PC. If I had to guess, I would say you may be in "Quick Mask" mode which can be toggled on/off below your tools panel on the left-hand side below your foreground/background colors (it looks like a box with a dotted circle in the middle). Did you try control-clicking the shape layer (in the image preview area)? It looks like your path is not a closed path so you will likely get a straight line going across the 2 endpoints of your path to create and close the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... you can try making the path active (so you see the edit points etc) and then right click, but control-clicking the preview in the layer or path thumbnail/preview should work. Let me know either way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I Alt click the path it makes the points active, but I can't delete or change anything. 

Control click doesn't do anything at all.  How can it not be closed?  You can see the blue outline?  It's exactly the path I created.

Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you clicking on? 

The path does not need to be closed

You need to make the Paths panel visible, and Ctrl (Cmd) click on the path thumbnail in the path panel

And you'll have a selection.  Notice the straight line between the open points.

Something I frequently do is fill a new layer with the selection, so I can reload it by Ctrl clicking the layer's thumbnail.  The layer does not need to be turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added that you can also load the selection by using this icon in the Path panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click that option it says "No Pixels are selected".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my path looked like your's I would not have that problem.  Notice how yours is white on the inside, and mine is grayed out.

PS Path Issue 4.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the direct selection tool to select your path and move one of the points on the patch. What you may see is that you inadvertently duplicated the path and there are now two. Delete one of them and your path preview will show as filled in white... good to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never had this happen before, but this just solved it for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines