2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 5:03 AM by John Mensinger

I want to import data from a table saved as a csv file to my indesign table

ckernevez7

Hello all,

I want to import data from a table saved as a csv file to my indesign table.

Pb is that it inputs only one data in all rows? please help

• 1. Re: I want to import data from a table saved as a csv file to my indesign table
          vinny38 Level 5

Hi

What about opening your CSV in Excel (or another spreadsheet software) and resave it in .xls?

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I want to import data from a table saved as a csv file to my indesign table
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ckernevez7  wrote

I want to import data from a table saved as a csv file to my indesign table.

The csv file is no longer a table. To get what you need, you have 2 primary options; vinny38 already gave you option 1: re-open the csv file in a spreadsheet application so it gets re-interpreted to columns and rows, or option 2: do that reinterpretation in InDesign.

For option 2 you'll have to first just paste all the text from the csv file into an ordinary InDesign text frame. Then, with all that text selected, choose Table > Convert Text to Table.

Seeing as it's a CSV (Comma-Separated-Value) file, in the Convert Text to Table dialog, choose Comma from the Column Separator menu:

Leave the Row Separator set to Paragraph and click OK.

This will result in a new table you can format as desired, or from which to copy/paste to a pre-existing table.

3 people found this helpful