• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Error Message - CS5.5

New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To preface I am not computer literate if that makes sense.  I made my resume in InDesign.

I had an old version of CS Suite and also was able to access the newest version on Cloud thanks to my employer (as we create our communication document using InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc).

Well I am no longer with the company and no longer able to access the cloud.  So I reached out to Adobe to assist me.  They said I was able to upgrade my old program to CS5.5

It took a total of 8 hours, about 5 various Adobe Chat support people to help me (and even accessed my computer remotely) to download CS5.5 due to various issues.  My MacBook Pro is from 2013, I had limited hard drive space etc, the list goes on.

Finally someone from Adobe remotely accessed my computer managed to helped me download CS5.5, and I was able to work on my portfolio and a project for an interview one evening last week.  Then during several attempts to continue working on my projects, I was unable to save my Illustrator files, I was unable to open InDesign when it crashed.  Which both programs kept crashing.  I was even unable to download images from the internet.

I was exasperated and emotional, having lost my job and not being able to meet a deadline with a potential employer I reached out to Apple.

They quickly made me an appointment the same day.  What resulted was an Apple Genius member moving my portfolio folders to google cloud because I did not have time to move all my files.  So we worked on the most important folders.  The guys said it may be my hard drive and if they try to fix it, I could lose information.    They took my computer for 48hrs and when I returned they gave me a new hard drive.  So my computer was wiped out.

When I went to retrieve my old hard drive, I brought my laptop with me to attempt to re-download CS5.5 at the Apple store since I kept getting an error message that it wouldn't open due to needing something called java??  With the help of the Apple Genius guy, I finally downloaded JAVA something and voila it opened INDD. 

At home I tried to open up my resume (which is in indd format) and now it won't open.  I looked at resume and the file kind says:  InDesign® CS5.5 Document however when I try to open it in INDD CS5.5, I get an error message.

"CANNOT OPEN "FILE NAME.INDD".  PLEASE UPGRADE YOUR PLUG-INS TO THEIR LATEST VERSIONS, OR UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION OF ADOBE INDESIGN"

I know this is very long-winded but I'm not very educated in computer discussions.  I'm just a casual user who creates simple documents for retail communication.  Hoping someone can help, and if so, to understand that I may not know everything you are asking me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Hi Donna:

I am happy to help with the conversion, but running out to an appointment right now. You are welcome to put the file on dropbox and post a link to it in your reply (public) or hover over my name and put the link in the message (private). I'll take a look at it when I get back in a few hours.

In the meantime, someone else may pop in and be able to help in a more timely manner.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That error message is indicative of trying to open a file created in a later version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob,

So there is no way to open it?  Even if the file kind said it was CS5.5?  Also I was able to drag it into Illustrator and it opened but obviously not the program I want to work in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have the correct system specification InDesign system requirements you could download the latest version of InDesign (7 day trial) open your 5.5 document in it. save it as an IDML file then, in theory, you should be able to open it in InDesign 5.5. Make back up copies always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot open an Illustrator file in InDesign and it sounds like that’s what you’re trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh no, I dragged an my resume which was INDD into > Illustrator and it worked.  But as mentioned I didn't want to have to work on my resume in Illustrator because I'm not that well versed in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator cannot open InDesign files. I’m not sure what’s going on there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops sorry bob you are right, I had a PDF version of my resume.  duh.  I pulled it into illustrator.  Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, no need to apologize for being a "computer illiterate"! It sounds you are doing just fine, as long as everything is working as it should. I have in excess of 30 yrs of computer experience and I still would not know what to do when the internet drops out, an old file mysteriously disappeared, or Magic Blue Smoke got released and now all it does is "beep beep beep".

As to your problem: some files can be opened with just about any (topical) software at all; some files can be opened with different versions of its designated software. Unfortunately, InDesign is not one of these ... All newer versions can open older files, but older versions can not open newer files.

It looks like you are running into this problem here. You created your resume with CS5.5 but made some alterations to it using the latest cloud based version (which would probably be CC2017), and now you cannot open it anymore with your older version.

There is a work-around, but it comes down to this: someone with that latest version must open your document and save it as a special "legacy" format called "IDML". That will open just fine again for you. (It will always loose the original file name and will be called "Untitled". Usually that is the worst thing that happens.)

Do you still have access to the CC Cloud? If so, I think you can upload your file somewhere and have Adobe convert it for you. If not, you must upload the document to a public server somewhere and post a link in this forum. Any helpful reader can then download your document, convert it, and upload it again.

Alternatively (and possibly safer), you can negotiate in private with any member who is willing to help by moving the cursor on top of their name here and choosing "Message". Then you can safely send private messages, and discuss e-mail addresses and such.

(There are lots of regulars here who are happy to help you along with this! I hope one of them pops up and posts "Sure!" – personally, I'd be glad to but I have very limited access to the latest version, so won't be able to do anything more than giving moral support.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donna:

I am happy to help with the conversion, but running out to an appointment right now. You are welcome to put the file on dropbox and post a link to it in your reply (public) or hover over my name and put the link in the message (private). I'll take a look at it when I get back in a few hours.

In the meantime, someone else may pop in and be able to help in a more timely manner.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thanks everyone!  I was scared that I was going to have to wait days for a response.  I do need to adjust just my resume for now.  The Interview Project I'll just start from scratch considering the days I lost I've come up with more ideas for the project. 

Thank you Jong.  Thank you Derek (yes I actually attempted the trial because I didn't understand why cloud wasn't working) so it ran its 7 day course and I can access anymore - maybe thats when I created my resume? 

Barb is it ok if I send to you when you get back?  But also have a doctors appt I need to run to (you know, before my health insurance runs out).  I'm not sure where you are based but I'm EST but if we could do it after 3pm EST if that is ok with you?

Thanks again everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone!  Barb was kind enough to help me convert my resume.  Thank you Barb so much I really truly appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help, Donna.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines