• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

make background transparent

Participant ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following image.  It is in png format.  I was originally a jpg file and then I saved it as a psd file and then a png file.

I would like to make the background color transparent.  How do I do that?

I am a beginner.  I need a step-by-step, including an explanation of where things are in Photoshop CC.  Screenshots would help too.

Would somebody be willing to do that for me?

Rx.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

It wouldn't do anything when I click on the padlock icon.  But I got past it.  I worked around the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Quick Selection Tool to select the white background and press the delete key. You can do it in stages. A grey checker background represents transparency. Do not save it as a JPG as they can't have transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  I am trying to do the same thing.  When I select the background I'd like to be 'transparent' and select delete.  A "Fill" dialogue window pops up and its doesn't delete the area and replace with black and white checker transparent background.  Do you have advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odds are your image is on a background layer. In the layers panel you will see a padlock on the image layer. Drag the padlock to the trashcan to convert the background layer to a normal layer.

Background layer doesn't support transparency, layer effects, etc. Whereas a normal layer does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to unlock the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the padlock icon in the background layer to unlock it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't do anything when I click on the padlock icon.  But I got past it.  I worked around the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an older version of photoshop you can drag the padlock to the trashcan or double click the layer it self, when the dialog pops up to rename the layer, you can change the name or just click ok to convert the background to a normal layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I drag the padlock to the trash can, the padlock still remains where it was before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check you mode, some modes do not support the normal layer, hence the padlock remains. BTW,you don't need to repeat your posts, we all see the first one. Feel free to delete the second or ask an one of the mods can do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A beginner?

I assume you want to remove the white in the Rx layer so that you may superimpose the type over an image. If that is the case, there is an easy way to get that result. As shown below, place the type layer above the image and change its Blending Mode to Multiply. The white of the type layer will disappear. Good luck

RX.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.

A much needed guide as a beginner to remove white background. Now I can publish logo of my site. [link removed by moderator] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines