• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC - May 18 - Preview display Freezes - latest Mac OS

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a healthy and powerful enough computer to handle the video I'm working with, but premiere pro is not working correctly, freezes up two minutes into editing on the timeline - begins moving like a sloth. I am using no effects, imported basic video files and basic audio files, nothing special.

The preview window freezes and there is no way to work - eventually everything gets so slow there is absolutely nothing I can do but quit the program. I am using the default project settings that happen when you import 4k video to a new session, absolutely no changes to it and this has always worked in the past.

This session is a very small session compared to other sessions that have run perfectly, so something must be up.

Who else is having this problem? What is the solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some, 2018 seems to take more resources than 2017. Especially with some of the long-GOP media, the 4k H.264 stuff from drones, DSLRs, and M4/3 cams. For others, like me, it's working quite nicely.

So some details about your computer ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU, the number and type of drives used and their connections to the motherboard (internal, USB3, thunderbolt ... what?).

What specific media are you using, made by what ... device: camera, phone, screen-capture, what?

With more data those of us around here can try & trouble-shoot & advise.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

computer -

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup disk -

OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G

(connected via internal SATA)

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

video types:

Lumix G7 - H.264, AAC, 3840 x 2160, 2 audio chanels

iPhone - H.264, AAC, 2160 x 3840, Timed Metadata, 1 audio channel

What happens: open a new session and pulled videos in the order I was going to edit on the timeline, first I pulled the lumix video to the timeline, then the iphone videos. Just did basic video editing, cut, delete, move clip over, until eventually I get to one of the videos and cut and delete and move over and then mid way through the clip the freezing of the session starts, I look at my memory usage and it starts to sink like water down a drain. So I started a new session and edited cuts for about 2 mins of video and the same video AGAIN, around the same place in the clip, Premiere pro freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.S. - 10.13.4 (17E202)

-Priemiere Pro is on latest version

-The drive with the streaming media is the 1TB SSD connected via SATA and I have plenty of free room (500gbs free)

-I do have a number of drives connected (8-10) to one of my thunderbolt ports, but none of them are working with media connected to Priemire Pro projects.

I really believe this is one little thing, not my computer/setup, but a little thing to do with the function of the program, but if you think it is something else from this info I am all ears,

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update:

edited in screen flow, it was rough but did not crash, exported in 1080p and then edited some more in a new session in Premiere Pro and exported upres back to 4k, not sure what went wrong it has never happened before and I was using a tested workflow that never had problems, I am wondering if it had something to do with the video clip itself that the program did not like and it made it freak out? I feel like it was that or the program has a very annoying bug, or maybe something with my setup that you can shed light on. Looking at my graphics processor is that pretty good? Or no? When I purchased the computer I was going more for solid cpu and ram and I assumed the graphics processor was decent enough for general editing esp. since I purchased from macsales I figured it must be at least acceptable.

Actually was under the impression my graphics processor was pretty good, but to be honest I have not researched graphics processors much and it was just an assumption I made when I purchased it because everything else spec wise was solid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines