Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing files

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have a problem that I am not able to solve.

I took a series of photos with three different cameras at the same time, two DSRL (RAW + jpg files) and a compact (jpg files,) but I forgot to synchronize the machines, so I found myself with three series of images not synchronized.
To solve the problem, I imported it into three different Lightroom folders, modified the times and moved them to a fourth folder, again using Lightroom.
I deleted the three original folders now empty and I examined all the photos to verify the synchronization, a perfectly successful operation.
I then began to process the photos, starting from the first; after a few days of work, the photos are around 5000, I realized that 160 of the photos taken with the compact were gone, some of which were certainly present in the original import.
Assuming I have deleted them by mistake, I have imported them back into a Lightroom folder, which is very simple since Lightroom highlighted the missing photos during the import, I corrected the date for the synchronization and tried to transfer them to the work folder.
The operation failed because Lightroom told me that it was impossible to move the photos because they were already there!
I then tried to synchronize the folder, but the answer was that there was no photo to sync in the folder.
I opened the folder in the Finder and I could verify that all the photos were actually present in the folder on my Mac but absent in Lightroom’s grid view (no filter in action).
I then deleted some of these photos from the folder and I repeated the move operation between folders through Lightroom; so I was able to make these photos reappear in the grid view and in the Mac folder.
The problem, however, is not solved because, synchronizing the folder, Lightroom tells me the new photos added as missing in the folder and proposes to delete them from the grid view!
Summarizing: the photos are there, but they are not seen; you cannot replace them even if Lightroom indicates them as missing photos when importing; manually forcing the replacement Lightroom refuses to recognize the photos.
What to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you possibly re-type your message so it is formatted in a more easy-to-read appearance? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have a problem that I am not able to solve.

I took a series of photos with three different cameras at the same time, two DSRL (RAW + jpg files) and a compact 
(jpg files,) but I forgot to synchronize the machines, so I found myself with three series of images not synchronized.
To solve the problem, I imported it into three different Lightroom folders, modified the times and moved them to 
a fourth folder, again using Lightroom.
I deleted the three original folders now empty and I examined all the photos to verify the synchronization, a 
perfectly successful operation.
I then began to process the photos, starting from the first; after a few days of work, the photos are around 5000, 
I realized that 160 of the photos taken with the compact were gone, some of which were certainly present in the
original import.
Assuming I have deleted them by mistake, I have imported them back into a Lightroom folder, which is very simple 
since Lightroom highlighted the missing photos during the import, I corrected the date for the synchronization and
tried to transfer them to the work folder.
The operation failed because Lightroom told me that it was impossible to move the photos because they were 
already there!
I then tried to synchronize the folder, but the answer was that there was no photo to sync in the folder.
I opened the folder in the Finder and I could verify that all the photos were actually present in the folder on my Mac 
but absent in Lightroom’s grid view (no filter in action).
I then deleted some of these photos from the folder and I repeated the move operation between folders through
Lightroom; so I was able to make these photos reappear in the grid view and in the Mac folder.
The problem, however, is not solved because, synchronizing the folder, Lightroom tells me the new photos added 
as missing in the folder and proposes to delete them from the grid view!
Summarizing: the photos are there, but they are not seen; you cannot replace them even if Lightroom indicates 
them as missing photos when importing; manually forcing the replacement Lightroom refuses to recognize the photos.
What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom thinks the photos are in a different folder than you think they are in. This happens because you accidentally imported the photos (or synchronized the folder) using the COPY option instead of the ADD option. So you think the photos are in folder A but Lightroom only knows about the copies (that you told it to make) in folder B.

So, you have to locate the photos in Lightroom. Please follow all four of these steps (not one or two or three of these steps, but ALL FOUR of these steps)

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, click on All Photographs (it's on the left under Catalog)
  2. Turn off all fiters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
  3. Expand all stacks (Photo->Stacking->expand All Stacks)
  4. Use the Lightroom filter bar to search for at least one of these photos by File Name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj_paige for the quick reply.
I had already tried to do something similar to what you suggested

and I repeated the operations exactly as you indicated, but without success.

Meanwhile, however, I solved my problem.

As I explained I took pictures with two DSRLs and while with one I shot in

RAW + jpg with the other I shot only in RAW.

It happened that some of these RAW files randomly had the same numbering

as the compact’s files.

When I transferred these files to the same folder where were found the files

of the compact, they have "captured" the jpg with the same name appearing

in the grid view as RAW + jpg, but showing the RAW version and hiding the jpg

that was a whole another photo!

I moved these files from Lightroom to another folder, I deleted them without

removing them, I separated RAW from jpg from the Finder, renamed them to

avoid new conflicts and imported them again.

So I found my lost shots ...

Now another question: when I import a photo in RAW + jpg version in the grid view

I can only see the RAW version; How do I view and possibly process the jpg version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

max_o_max  wrote

Now another question: when I import a photo in RAW + jpg version in the grid view

I can only see the RAW version; How do I view and possibly process the jpg version?

You need to configure Lr to treat the JPGs as separate files

jpg as separate.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is a little different:

It is possible to switch between RAW and jpg? In other word, to see the jpg version of the file and to hide the RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

max_o_max  wrote

It is possible to switch between RAW and jpg? In other word, to see the jpg version of the file and to hide the RAW.

You can choose to only import the JPG version in import window. First you need to sort the files by file type as shown below.

import filter.png

Alternatively, import both then use the filters to select JPG or RAW images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines