Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

recording a webpage scroll

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2009 Jan 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I'm creating a demo on how to access a particular website. For distribution reasons I'm using a low res 800 X 600. This means that web pages need a lot of scrolling to navigate them. When played back the scrolling happens OK but then the image appears to jump back to the beginning of the scroll so that the mouse movements and text captions that follow are, although in the place they should be in relation to the viewing screen, are not pointing at the right bit of the web page.
I hope this makes some kind of sense.
CHeers
Chris
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to anyone who read this.
I found the answer on the forum under recording.
Apparently it's a general problem and can be helped but not solved by taking a screen shot (hit 'print screen') before and after you scroll. So
'Print screen' then scroll. Try not to move the mouse after the scroll, then 'print screen' again, then move mouse again.
When I did this I ended up with a the screen shot slide I needed followed by a slide that had jumped back to the top of the scroll so that the link I clicked on happened but the highlight box and mouse were in the wrong place.
I copied and pasted the highlight box and associated text label into the screen shot slide then deleted the slide that looked wrong.
Hope this makes some kind of sense.
Cheers
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chirs,

I believe that you found your answer under my post. I would love a response from Adobe Technical Support - is this a glitch? Perhaps it is listed somewhere that I haven't found. Is it just the way it is or will it be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Vicki

According to the web forums post count, I see this is your second post so I'm going to assume you are unaware that by and large the Adobe Support staff seldom visit here and reply. We do see Adobe folks checking in for about 30 days after a new version release, but beyond that it's almost totally user to user support.

If you have something you feel is a bug, I encourage you to report it as such via the Wish Form/Bug Report.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

If you have a true support issue, you will need to use a different avenue to reach support.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vicky and thanks Captiv8r,
I'll report this as a bug as from the forum it seems a number of people have experienced the same problem.
Perhaps if they all report it something may be done.
Even after following the advice from the forum about adding screen shots I still had problems.
The scroll was followed by the jump back and the mouse click in the now wrong place then the screen shot.
This meant copying and pasting the hgihlight and text boxes to the screen shot slide and then deleting the 'wrong' slide. However in doing this I lost the mouse click (that is the click sound and the little blue diamond).
I'll look around for the solution to that.
Cheers
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

The Blue Diamond is actually a blue line indicating the mouse movement. There are two arrows that show the direction. If you grab the mouse on the slide and change its location, you will get the blue line back.

To get the mouse click sound back, double-click the mouse object in the Timeline. You will see properties that allow you to configure the click sound.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, I appreciate your response! You're right I am new to this and didn't know.

Chris- if you could post what comes of your bug report to Adobe Support, it will help a number of us - well, at least me! The workaround seems like a lot of work to make it work right, agree?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution to this is after you perform the "scroll" just click the mouse on any blank part of the screen, and then continue on with what you were doing. (Make sure this click doesn't make the screen alter or change)

When you edit your presentation, just delete the slide where you clicked somewhere blank.

Hope this makes sense, but it solves having to copy, paste and mess around with the mouse.

Cheers,

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

In the preferences dialog(Shift + F8 would launch the preferences dialog)
go to, Recording:Settings and uncheck the "Capture interim screenshot" checkbox. Please try out above mentioned scenarios now. This should hopefully serve your purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vicky
I certqainly will post responses , If any, from Adobe support.

Thanks Rick for the mouse click info - that worked.

Hi Kerry,
Good tip that worked for me.

Hi M_Anand,
I couldn't find "capture interim screenshot' in the preferences dialog. I'm using Captivate version 3 build 580. I've looked at all the preferences menus but can't see it anywhere.
Am I being thick? I got to preferences via edit>preferences as shift+f8 didn't work (I should probably mention that I'm using a Mac computer with parallels to run windows XP and therefore Captivate, but I don't think that will make any difference to how it runs, just what keyboard shortcuts work (it's a mac keyboard, so doesn't have a 'print screen' button for example. I set my own in the preferences dialog)).
Cheers to you all and thanks
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"capture interim screenshot" option has been added to the preferences dialog in Captivate 4. This option is not available in Captivate 3. Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: M_Anand
"capture interim screenshot" option has been added to the preferences dialog in Captivate 4. This option is not available in Captivate 3. Sorry for the confusion.

Another reason to upgrade to Cap 4.

But until then, my trick works.

:o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one almost drove me crazy, but I found a solution that doesnt involve hacking your screens and editing post capture....

Basically, capture in full screen mode with full motion recording. The issue is because Captivate is jumping to full screen mode when we scroll the webpage up and down. So to counteract this, do the whole thing i full screen mode so that it cant jump up to the top of the screen each time we scroll.

My captured movies look and behave exactly the same as when I performed the demonstration now. ALL FIXED AND VERY HAPPY CAMPER!

ps. adobe needs to fix this issue in it's preference settings rather than make users change to suit the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps. I am using Captivate v3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Nick but...
In full motion Captivate doesn't automatically put in all the text captions and highlights etc. Thus you have to put them in manually. Also, because as soon as you let go of the playhead the edit view jumps back to the first frame it is also very difficult to adjust exactly where to place the text captions in the timeline and on the slide.

So far I'm with Kerry's solution despite the minimal extra editing and the need to 'get into the rhythm' of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And now I can confirm that in Captivate 4, unchecking the 'capture interim sceen shot' box in preferences does solve the problem.

So thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources