Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rhvariable.apj file

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I try making changes to the variables, either adding or modifying, I receive a message that an error occurred while trying to read data from the rhvariable.apj file. This message occurs every time I press "Save".

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Jackie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackie. Is this problem limited to a single project? Is the project located on a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, limited to one project, that I created yesterday. Other projects with variables are fine.
No, not on a network, and same problem found on 2 local computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new project, making a copy of the rhvariable.apj file in it and copying in the rhvariable.apj file from the problem project. If this doesn't work (and I suspect it won't) we have pinpointed the issue to the rhvariable.apj file. Next step would be to manually add the variables from the problem project to the new project rhvariable.apj file. I suspect there is something about one of the variables that is causing the issue. Maybe a special character?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

In addition to Colum's advice I would ask if you are using source control? You mention seeing the issue on other computers.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, there is a special character - (Product name is Forte).

How do I remove this variable from the help? I have tried editing the rhvariable.apj file, as well as removing it from within RoboHelp, but this hasn't solved the problem.

(I am not using source control. I have 2 PCs)

Thanks,
Jackie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What special character has been used? "Forte" seems OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forté, with an accent on the "e".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume your project setting is in English?

First up, backup the project. If "forte" is a variable value, I wonder if you can open the rhvariable.apj file in notepad and manually edit it to remove the accented letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried editing the apj file, but that didn't help. Also, the changes weren't shown in the list of variables in RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackie

Were you ever able to resolve the issue?

Can you please clarify something? Was the error a result of the variable name that was declared or the value stored in the variable?

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, still unresolved. I may just redo everything and try without the special character.
The problem is with the value of the variable. (Name of variable is product_name, unless the underscore is what is causing the problems.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Underscores can be a problem in other areas so I'd suggest removing them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the help is okay now, as I have redone everything without the special character.
Is it possible to change the name of a variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2009 Mar 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Variables works fine, everything is great, BUT RoboHelp crashes when I try generating the chm. This is exactly what happens to a different file I am working on, that also contains variables.

Is there anything you can suggest? Robohelp usually crashes, and always while "updating" the files.

Thanks,
Jackie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp