• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete Cr2 images in bulk, after converting to DNG?

Participant ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used DXO Photo Lab and on exporting back to Lightroom Classic, Both the Cr2 images and DXO images are side by side. How can i delete the CR2 images in in one

go?

Thanks,

Adrian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG, DXO, ?? which.

I would NOT  be deleting the CR2 files until we know more details.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After sending CR2 files to DXO for editing, I exported the DXO edited files as DNG files back to the Lightroom folder. That folder now has both DNG and CR2 images. I want to delete the CR2’s.

Thanks fir asking.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.!  Don't delete the CR2s.

If I read- http://forum.dxo.com/index.php?topic=9433.0

and understand correctly- the DNG exported from DXO is a compressed JPG file just wrapped in the DNG 'container'. So you are losing pixel data in your images.

Storage (hard-drives) are relatively cheap. Do NOT delete your original, full data, camera files.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wobert, thanks for this important info. So, if DXO edits the initial camera raw, and I export back to Lightroom for potentially further adjustments and added metadata, do you know if the CR2’s were adjusted by DXO, because if so I could convert them to DNG in Lightroom......does that make sense.

And, I am thinking I should delete the folder in Lightroom and DXO, and reload properly from the camera. I’m on the road in Austria, editing as I go.

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Adrian

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you know if the CR2’s were adjusted by DXO

No.

Nothing touches the CR2s- not even Lightroom.

When you select a photo and "Edit-In" DXO, then Lightroom creates a new 'Derivative' file that is exported to DXO with any Lightroom adjustments 'burned into' the DXO file  (JPG or TIF ?).

Now when DXO 'Saves' the file it has the added DXO edits, and Lightroom will simply show the 'new' file in the Library next to the CR2 original.

I could convert them to DNG in Lightroom

Yes, you can. Converting a CR2 to DNG (using the menu in Lightroom, or at import)  is converting one raw format to another. The DNG 'raw' format will still retain all the raw data in the original image (except some odd proprietary camera data specific to some cameras).

Using DNG raw in place of CR2 raw is (and has been for a long time) a debatable topic. Some do, many don't. There is a slight compression of file-size, Lightroom can "Validate" DNG files to check for corruption, If you Save metadata to files- DNGs will embed the metadata within the file (and not create a sidecar XMP file)

Summary-

1)  KEEP your originals. AND back them up to other physical storage. (Lightroom does not do this!)

2)  Convert Originals to DNG- is your choice. DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Adobe Blog

3)  Keep the DXO edited derivative files and Stack them with the originals in LR. (Storage is "cheap"!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR open the Filter bar then the metadata option, then File type in the last search option box and then select CR2 files or they may be listed as simply RAW. Once only the CR2 files are shown Select All, Ctrl + a, then hit the Delete key. In the dialog box that comes up select Delete From Disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I’m a little confused.....do you mean the screen bottom right Filter selection, as I see no metadata option, and at the top in metadata, no choice that includes CR2.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines