Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPS coordinates in CR3 file format

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I own a new Canon EOS M50 and took a lot of GPS tagged pictures in my last holiday. Lightroom is importing the CR3 files without any problems, but I miss the GPS position. If I look to the files with the tool of Canon I see, that the position where the picture was taken, is inside of the file. Even if I export the pic to a jpg and import it then to Lightroom I have the position - but I like to have the raw file.

So far I found no way to display the position in combination with the CR3 file. I could put it in manually for each file, but therefor these are to many.

Any ideas to get this issue solved?

Thanks and regards

Andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, verify in Import that no metadata preset is being applied:

If there is a preset being applied, then it is likely defined to clear the GPS field.

If Apply During Import > Metadata is None, then upload an example CR3 to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here -- we'll take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no preset applied while the import happend and I double-checked it again a minute ago.

I see you use LR on a Mac - I use it on a Win10 PC, but I do not think that this will be different.

Here a link to an example file: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I am curious if it will work on your machine. Thanks in advance for testing.

Regards Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andreas,

I had a look at your image in both Lr and Bridge (uses Adobe Camera Raw). Neither displays the GPS coordinates. This may be a bug in Lr/ACR handling of EOS M50 raw files. So, best you raise your issue here Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Above forum is monitored by Lr / ACR QE and Developers whereas this forum is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CR3 format is a new Canon format based on QuickTime (actually, the ISO Base Media File Format, which is based on QuickTime), whereas almost all other raw formats are based on TIFF.  So it's not surprising that LR might still have some bugs with it.

When you file your bug report, be sure to include the link to the sample file.

ExifTool shows  the GPS coordinates stored in your sample file:

[EXIF]          GPS Version ID                  : 2.3.0.0

[EXIF]          GPS Latitude Ref                : North

[EXIF]          GPS Latitude                    : 24 deg 15' 48.94"

[EXIF]          GPS Longitude Ref               : East

[EXIF]          GPS Longitude                   : 55 deg 44' 56.35"

[EXIF]          GPS Altitude Ref                : Above Sea Level

[EXIF]          GPS Altitude                    : 282.9 m

[EXIF]          GPS Time Stamp                  : 07:30:23

[EXIF]          GPS Satellites                  :

[EXIF]          GPS Status                      : Measurement Active

[EXIF]          GPS Map Datum                   : WGS-84

[EXIF]          GPS Date Stamp                  : 2018:05:10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys! I posted it now in the proposed forum.

To follow up: GPS coordinates in CR3 file format does not work | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines