• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When doing a data merge from excel to Indesign - all numerical data does not merge

New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me with this?

All text fields merge into my InDesign file, though all pone numbers and e-mail addresses don't merge.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set them up as text in MS Excel. I do it always with a duplicated sheet and set all values as text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some things to try if data merge is not working:

- if using comma delimited, try using tab delimited and vice versa

- check data for inconsistencies, like soft returns, special characters, commas, etc.

- save source data with UTF-8 encoding

- try different application for saving .csv or .txt source data

- check if header row is complete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would need to see more information before being able to accurately troubleshoot this issue, but I suspect that Jeffrey_Smith has the right answer in the last bullet point of his post - check if the header row is complete.
The header row is what Data Merge uses to create the field headings. If the field headings abruptly stop but there's actually data in the subsequent rows, Data Merge won't care and will only show the fields that had a header row. There's more information in this post that I hope helps in this situation: https://indesignsecrets.com/troubleshooting-data-merge-errors.php

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines