• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat fails to open document

New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have Adobe Acrobat installed on every computer in our office of 20 people.  There is one user that is unable to open some Adobe documents.  We've tried different versions of Adobe (Standard 10, Pro 10, Pro 11, even Reader DC).  Sometimes an error will come up saying that the file was damaged and Adobe will attempt to repair it.  It then gets stuck on a Rebuild screen.  If that message doesn't appear, the system just hangs - Adobe won't open. 

After this, I can see multiple instances of Adobe running under Processes.  I ahve to manually end those processes and reboot the machine to get Adobe to even work again.

What's odd is that the same "corrupt" pdf will work on every other machine in the office. 

I have tried this fix - Resolve damaged document error when opening PDF files

I have tried multiple different versions of Adobe - Standard 10, Pro 10, Pro 11 and DC Reader. 

I have also tried removing all instances of Adobe and then running the Adobe Acrobat Cleaner - Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs .

I then reinstalled Adobe Acrobat Pro 11.  I was then able to open the "corrupt" pdf one time.  Then never again.

All the machines in the office, including this one, are running Windows 7 64b. 

It's clearly something to do with this machine's Adobe.  Please help.  

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right, this is an odd situation.

I think you might have a corrupt installation of Acrobat (regardless of which version you're dealing with) and the only way to correct the problem from my experience is to do a complete uninstall and reinstall, but with one different action...

1. Uninstall all versions of Acrobat, including Reader. Use the Uninstall utility from the Start menu, if it's there, or use the utility in Control Panel.
  2. Once uninstalled, shut down the computer and then reboot. (Not a restart, but a complete shutdown and then restart.) This clears out everything that is cached throughout the system.
  3. Then reinstall a clean copy of Acrobat. Of course, I recommend installing the latest version of PRO, but install whatever version you need the user to have.

Hope this helps you out.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines