• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to clear scratch disks for Photoshop CS 6???

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening a 500kb file and received the following Photoshop message: "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full."  I tried going to Edit/Preferences/Performance and only one drive, i.e. my harddrive, is listed, and it shows 856MB under Free Space.  I read somewhere to de-select the active checkbox to clear the memory, but I'm not able to de-select.  This is on Photoshop CS6 v.13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x32 - old version, I know.

I can't find a customer support email for Adobe.  Hope someone can help with this!  Thanks!

2017-10-17_8-56-06.jpg

2017-10-17_8-58-49.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If after seeing that message you closed Photoshop  and then restarted Photoshop which I think you may have done  for Windows does not run well when your C:  disk becomes full.    If You terminated Photoshop  because you got the message and Windows was not running well.  The scratch space the Photoshop had allocated would have been returned to C: disk free space.  Also 856MB is not much free space I have seen Photoshop use much more free space than that on my system.  Many GB in facts.  Photoshop also create temp work files in your user id temp space which is also one you C: disk.      I feel you need to free up space if C: is the only disk you have.

Currently I see  i have 122GB Free one my C: and  that Photoshop is currently using 7.12GB one my C:  for its temp scratch space.Capture.jpg

I just closed PS

Free space is up to 129GB

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how did you open the right 'Photoshop Temp' window? I cannot come to it..

Basically I also have the same problem, I have a new laptop, 'the machine' and all, I thought 500 gb Ssd disk is gonna be a blast. Next thing I know, 6 months latter I am getting reports that the C disk is full??? Besides Windows, Microsoft, Adobe and Mendeley I have nothing on the laptop, I am even using Microsoft Explorer - its really solely photo and video editing laptop.

I have never had this problem before, so I have came to the conclusion that it must be scratch disks and catche data.

I turned internet upside down and I cant find an article saying where can I empty scratch disk. Would somebody please be so nice to share this knowledge with me?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Zala Opara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Zala, what might happen is that if Photoshop crashes, it might not delete the scratch file, and it clogs the C: drive.

Some users also had the problem when trying to crop an image using the wrong units, 1920x1080 Inches is way different than pixels at 300ppi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Thank you for your answer. So what I was thinking of doing is uninstalling Photoshop, deleting all the files off the SSD and installing them again. That is logical thing to do, right?

Can you explain what you mean with the cropping units? I am using crop tool, 300ppi is just a 'quality' of photograph, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The cropping units are available if you select WxHXResolution instead of ratio in the option bar. (in the latest versions, do not remember how cc was)

Anyways, make sure that you enter 1080px instead of 1080in if it is what you want...

I'd try first to reset the crop tool in the option bar, right-click on the crop tool icon.

resettools.png

I'd then try to delete the preferences, look in Edit>Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should consider a 1t external drive to use as a time machine/backup and add it to that dialog you have open for Photoshop to go in there first before going to your C: drive for scratch disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan, some external hard drives are not accepted as Scratch disks, if they are recognized by the system as removable, but setting up a time machine backup is a big plus, indeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to Fix Photoshop Scratch Disk Full Errors

Also install WinDirStat so you can see what you have on the drive, and of you can remove or move it.

https://windirstat.net/

It's one of those essential apps like Speccy, and CPU-Z

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines