Exit

calling web help

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

To give you a bit of background before asking my question:
We are currently in the midst of converting our very large winhelp system to webhelp (using RoboHTML).

The converison is going well, however we have run into a snag from the application development side of things.

My programmers are a bit perplexed as to how to actually call webhelp from within Visual Basic programs. Specifically, there seems to be contradictory information about using a .cls or .frm.

We are currently using a deprecated version of RoboHelp, but will soon be transitioning to RH8.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the call procedure for VB6? Also, we will soon be transitioning to VB.Net, will we need to change anything when we do so?

Thanks for any assistance out there.

Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Peter Grainge's excellent web site for methods.

We use the URL call. And since we provide merged WebHelp, we also provide a flat file (we call formpath.txt) with a listing of which child project houses each form (window/screen, whatever), like this:

aammainform, mergedProjects\mwb_ug

The form named aammainform is in the mwb_ug folder, and is named the same (if it were not, its actual name would be appended--following a backslash--after the folder name).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon,

I have read Peter's site...several times, however, I believe the answer is at a level above that. In the actual VB program, there needs to be some type of call function (be it a class or form) that tells the program how to react when the help button is pressed.

The url call is easy enough to define....it is the vb code necessary to implement that call that is the step we are missing.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Does the link below help?

Click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice seeing you around, Roger!

Say hi to the moose for me!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Rick.

Looks like we covered all the bases here...

I'll tell Morty you said 'Hi!'...

One durn moose kicked my dog this weekend.... he was hurtin', I tell yas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

That is closer to what they are asking for (programmers are never happy, lol).

As a followup from them: is their some type of .dll, .ocx, or something like that is supplied by RH that they can use to help execute a help call?

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp