• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use of a style sheet external to the help project

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way I can use a style sheet external to the help project (i.e., the CSS that govers our web portal UI) to apply styles to the topics in my help project? Ideally our development team would maintain one cascade of style sheets for our web portals that would also apply to our help topics. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so heath_buff as the CSS is part of each HTM file published as part of your output. You may be able to replace the CSS file in your project output with that of your portal and change the references inside each of the output files to refer to it. It would be easier just to use the same style for the help and the portal. Is that an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure if it would work. It might as long as you don't use the RoboHelp HTML style editor to edit the CSS file.

You might try creating a CSS file in RoboHelp and hand editing it using Windows Notepad. Inside the file you would use the @import function to reference the central CSS.

More information on using this function is at This Link

Might not work with RoboHelp but would be worth a try.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thanks for the tip. I'll check out @import and see how that works.

To give you both a little background, since I often see your names on this forum, I'm building a brand new help project for a brand new product. I'm trying to make smart, scalable infrastructure decisions for the product and help project's future. Currently, I'm the only author, but in the future there will certainly be others.

I'm using RoboHelp 7 now, and considering the upgrade to RoboHelp 8. I also need to make decisions about source control and deployment, but those will be mostly made by our development and IT departments. Our product is written in Ruby, which RoboHelp does not provide API support for, and our development team would like to get away from IIS to serve up the pages of our web portal, which RoboHelp Server utilizes. So I'll probably have some more questions for you guys in the near future :-D

Any recommendations about upgrading to RoboHelp 8? Any suggestions for providing context sensitive help via Ruby on Rails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my current fallback option, but it requires maintaining two copies of the same style sheet and allows them to get out of synch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

So far, my primitive test of the @import rule has worked. Provided that I can guarantee a qualified URL where my style sheet will live, I can import it into a blank default.css and have it applied to my topics. Now I just have to find away to keep authors from creating any other style sheets 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default RH7 creates two CSS files in the output to deal with different browsers. Check this method is OK in all relevant browsers. I am not saying it will not be, just that as you are changing the way RH works, you need to check that too.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. I had already noticed default_ns.css . . . is that the only one? Is that always just a copy of default.css? In my case, I have an empty style sheet with a single @import statement, which so far has copied into default_ns.css in both test cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not an identical copy, there are some tweaks that are designed to make the content look the same in other browsers. In reality it is more a case of as close as possible.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as long as I keep the style sheet empty save for my @import rule, I should be okay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Trial and error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp