• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only Black Screen shows up when I import .psd or .ai files!

New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I would like to make a logo animation. I designed a logo to animate it. I imported thed psd file to AE with layer separation and only the Black Screen effect shows up. This is the same when I try with .ai. AE understands and knows there are layers but doesn't show anything just the black screen. Of course i tried with different importing settings...
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 13.09.32.png

Please help! I use the 2017 CC version.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking your document color modes. AE only handles RGB documents, not CMYK.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I used RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how but my AI document had changed to CMYK half way through creating my AE project.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Y'know,  if this logo happens to be black you won't be able to see it over a black background.  Have you checked for transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! This is not about the transparency. I can select the elements of the original files but they are invisible.Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 17.18.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you enable the transparency button for your comp window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Boldi S,

Did you ever solve this issue? What did you do to fix it? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem at work too. I think maybe its a memory problem as my Mac is ancient at work. I opened .psd files with transparency then tried to open another one in the same project. Now any picture I try to open is showing up as black. Ill re-boot my tired old Mac pro and see what happens .I hope this is not some serious bug. ( AE CC 2017)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problem this morning with with a client file. You need to change the colour profile setting.

In Photoshop you go in the menu Edit/Convert to profile...

and then you select under destination space menu : Working RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Then save your file with another name and reimport it in After Effects - Composition Retain layer size - Merge layers style into footage or if you need to edit select the other option.

Let me know if it works out. For me it works fine and now animating the file.

Best,

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem on a document that had multiple artboards.

When I moved the shapes to a new file with one artboard it worked in AE.

Could be unrelated, but you could give it a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem on a document that had multiple artboards.

When I moved the shapes to a new file with one artboard it worked in AE.

Could be unrelated, but you could give it a shot.

By @brendann9158727

Hi, I had the same issue just now trying to import layers from AI into AE. Seems AE doesn't deal with AI artboards well and this fixed all my issues.  Thanks for posting your comment. Life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines