• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom not reading Keywords from Photo Mechanic

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a MacBook Pro laptop and have the latest update of Lightroom Classic. I also have the latest Photo Mechanic. I load my photos into PM and put keywords in the IPTC catalogue as well as copyright info and when I add the photos in Lightroom the keywords etc are not there. Is there something I have to set in Lightroom in order for LR to bring the keywords with the photos?

Cmp=Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max Sonoma 14.0 Lightroom Classic 13.0 (13.01 didn't work for me when I installed it so I went back to 13.0)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of people use Photo Mechanic with LR. If you upload a sample keyworded photo to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here, we can take a look at what might be going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John for replying. I have been using PM for a couple of years now and just noticed the keywords weren't being brought over. I don't know what loading a picture would show except a picture with no keywords.

Cmp=Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max Sonoma 14.0 Lightroom Classic 13.0 (13.01 didn't work for me when I installed it so I went back to 13.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what loading a picture would show except a picture with no keywords.

It would show if you are successfully getting the keywords written to the file before importing it into LR.  (That is often the cause of failure to import keywords  -- they're not actually in the imported file at the time of import.)

But it's more likely your import metadata preset setting Copyright is clearing the keywords.  Edit the preset, scroll down, and clear the check to the left of Keywords:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes mine is checked. So by golly that could be it. I will uncheck it. I have a couple of big sports events this weekend so I will see if it is the answer to this. I knew it had to be something simple. I will update you. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averil2  wrote

Is there something I have to set in Lightroom in order for LR to bring the keywords with the photos?

Are you applying a Metadata Preset in LR's Import dialog? Review it, because it might be setting the keywords to blank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John Beardsworth, yes I do have metadata in the Lightroom. Not keywords but copyright info. That would block the metadata coming from LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I asked was "Are you applying a Metadata Preset in LR's Import dialog?" If this preset has keywords ticked, it would blank the keywords you'd added in PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, yes I did have the keyword box checked. So I will uncheck it and see how it goes. I have a couple of big events this weekend and I will see how it goes. Thanks. I will update you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leaving the keyword box (or other box) checked is a very common reason for the problem you've described. As a general rule, I suggest unchecking all items with the Check None button, and then ticking only those you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I shot my two events this weekend. I use PM and keywords and when I brought it over to LR I unchecked the keyword box. And voila the keywords from PM came through! So thinking about it more, if I check the keyword box and have no keywords in it  then duh it will over right what PM has. How did I not think of this sooner?!!!. Thank you to both of you Johns for your help. This has helped me tremendously

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh also I set up a new preset in LR called Photo Mechanic which is actually no preset. I unchecked all the boxes in the metadata. I apply this every time I bring something from PM. Hope this helps others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines