• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List

Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems with ordered and bulleted lists. Using RH7 for HTML in Windows XP. I am not an HTML ace but I generally can figure out what needs done to make it look the way I want. This one, I cannot see why in one topic it has one numbered style of list and in the other topic a different style. Same for the unordered list.

In the same project, using "default.css" with no editing to it, some topics have different tags for what I thought was the same type of list. The OL list, "list-style: inside decimal" has the number on the same column as the second line of text begins with. I see there is a difference, but I don't know what is causing the different "list type."

Code from the topics:

GOOD for me:

<ol style="list-style: decimal;" type=1>

BAD for me:

<ol style="list-style: inside decimal;" type=1>

For the bulleted list I don't see an obvious difference.

BAD for me:

UNORDERED LISTS

<ul><li style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; list-style: disc;" type=disc
class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">

<ul style="list-style: disc;" type=disc>
<li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt; font-weight: bold;">

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
In one of your problem lists, take a look at the setting that Leon pointed out. If that's not the problem and you're up for a bit of experimentation, try creating a new topic with two lists. Format one list using the toolbar button. Format the other list using the Bullets and Numbering dialog with settings that you've used in other topics. Then see if that results in different coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you always apply list styles to text using the same method (such as clicking the numbered list button in the toolbar)? I'm just thinking that if you apply list styles in different ways, that may account for the different coding.

I'm also wondering if you author directly in RH or if you author in another program and then import (or copy/paste) into RH.

I'm looking specifically at the ordered lists with these questions. Do you have an example of unordered list code that is working the way you want?

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, Thanks for the response. I always start a list using the toolbar button, whether ordered or unordered. Though occasionally the "Format | Bullets and Numbering" menu options come into play if I need to change the bullet or number style for some reason. And occasionally, from that approach the Numbered examples on the Bullet & Numbering dialog will end up with two or three similar list examples on the same display (multiple 1,2,3 etc), and I'm never sure what the differences are. I'm thinking perhaps I've somehow used different styles without being aware I have.

The following is an example of code that's working the way I expect. The only difference I see between this below, and the code that is not working the way I want is the "list style: inside decimal" tag.

<p style="margin-left: 0px;"> </p>
<ol style="list-style: decimal;" type=1>
<li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px;">On the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Borrower
Services</span> tab, with the borrower's account displayed, click <span
style="font-weight: bold;">Requests</span>. <spaces> </spaces>The
<span style="font-weight: bold;">Place Requests</span> sub-tab will open
as shown in the example above. </p></li>
<li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">Type or
scan the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Item ID</span> in the <span
style="font-weight: bold;">Title Search</span> box and click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Search</span>.
<spaces> </spaces>Or you can search for the title by typing a search
term in the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Title Search</span> box and
clicking <span style="font-weight: bold;">Search</span>. <spaces> </spaces>See
<a href="Do_a_Title_Search.htm">Search for a Title</a> to learn more about
how to search for a title.</p></li>
<li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">From the
search results locate and select the title of the item you want to request.
<spaces> </spaces>The <span style="font-weight: bold;">Title</span>
field will now display the title, as shown in the example above. </p></li>
<li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">Under <span
style="font-weight: bold;">Request Type</span> the options will now be
available, and the <span style="font-weight: bold;">First Available</span>
option will be selected by default. <spaces> </spaces>Retain that
selection, or select another option as appropriate.</p></li>
<li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">Each option
is listed below, along with the steps to place a Request using the option.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "inside" value relates to exactly that: the number will be placed inside the paragraph margin, rather than on the outside (hanging margin).

Either:

* Someone selected the Number(Bullet) positioned within paragraph option in the Bullets and Numbering dialog.

* The topic was imported from Word, and someone made margin settings in the Customize Numbered(Bulleted) List dialog.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In one of your problem lists, take a look at the setting that Leon pointed out. If that's not the problem and you're up for a bit of experimentation, try creating a new topic with two lists. Format one list using the toolbar button. Format the other list using the Bullets and Numbering dialog with settings that you've used in other topics. Then see if that results in different coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon and Ben. I'll look further for those possibilities Leon mentioned, and try the experiment and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The toolbar buttons for both numbers and bullets cause the problem. Using the Format menu options they are good.

Now I have to ask, how do I restore the button options to the default (I assume the default is what I want)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening default.css in Notepad or another text editor and checking the OL,UL entry for the "inside decimal" declaration. There will probably also be an entry for LI.P, so you may also want to check that one.

I would have suggested opening the Styles dialog, but the Bullets and Numbering option is disabled when I expand Other, select Lists, and click the Format button. But maybe you could try that and see if you see the same thing. If you can click Bullets and Numbering, see if the check box Leon mentioned needs to be cleared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The default.css had no customizations, including all entries you mentioned. The Styles dialog also had bullets and numbering unavailable. The "Number(Bullet) positioned within paragraph" options were not selected.

I'm going to continue to work on the toolbar issues, but I think you've solved my problem re the project. Thanks so much. I was staring to lose what little hair I had left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp