• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New computer missing photos

New Here ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new computer and no longer have the old computer. When I try to pull up old photos in Lightroom, it says they were already imported and are grayed out. But they are not in my Library. I have them on an external hard drive with the XMP files. Is there any way to pull them back into lightroom without renaming and relocating every photo?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not Import (pull up?) anything.!!!

Again- Do not try to re-import your photos, until you have searched for Catalog files (?????.LRCAT).

Do you have a Catalog file (your "Library") from the 'old' computer?  Or a Backup copy of your catalog file on the external drive?

If you do, then read this link to re-establish your library- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

If you do NOT have a Catalog file whatsoever, then you will have to 'start-from-scratch' with a new catalog and hopefully the XMPs will restore some of your editing work to the photos, when you import them to the new catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I found a "Catalogue" file from a previous computer (although it may not be all of the files - I had to go through 2 computers to get to my current one - fun!). But I've been editing new photos on my new computer. Lightroom says it has to close the current Catalogue and relaunch to open the old Catalogue. So, I can't just add it? I have to choose New or Old?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to combine catalogs, you must open one catalog and then choose the menu option to import from another catalog. That will enable you to combine images from multiple catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That might work. It looks like I was using an older version of Lightroom on my old computer and it says it can't convert it and import it. So, I'll probably have to install old Lightroom and then upgrade and then import...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two Catalogs can be merged into one by using the Menu option -[Import from another Catalog]

This would restore all your 'old' editing with the work done on 'new' photos.

You may (will) have problems with files that may have changed location (show as 'missing') but you can fix these problems also.

Before you attempt a merge I suggest you read all four articles "Stage 1,2,3,4" from the link-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/?s=merge+catalog

Fix 'missing'- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines