Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF warning for malicious content on a 3d PDF I created

New Here ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a 3D PDF for a client, and when they try to open it, it's giving a warning that it may contain malicious data and closes Acrobat.

Since I created the PDF (using Cinema 4D plugin called 4dPublish) and didn't include any malicious data, does anyone know why this might be happening?

Works fine on both my mac and pc at home.

It's happening with multiple files.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting guidance you can offer.

Paul

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by “it's giving a warning?” What is “it's” supposed to be? Most likely, your client has some dodgy antivirus software that is giving a false positive. Have the client temporarily disable their antivirus and see if that “solves” the problem. If so, your client should open a case with the antivirus supplier with regards to false positive issues.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF warning.png

Sorry that wasn't clear. Acrobat is displaying this warning in the attached image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helps!

You aren't seeing this on your system, but your client is seeing it on their system, correct?

What version of Acrobat are you running? What version of Reader or Acrobat are they running?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a little more info from the client.

He's running the latest version of Acrobat, as am I. The file opens okay for him, but when he goes to rotate the 3D model, that's when the error message appears.

The files work fine for me with regard to crashing, but in Acrobat Reader, it appears that the luminance and environment reflects that are visible in Acrobat are missing. I need to find a solution for that, too.

BTW, thanks for the prompt replies and willingness to help.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kent Barber here, the creator of 4D Publish plugin.

Paul I have directly emailed you a few questions based on what you have mentioned here in this thread.

Thank you Dov for jumping in to help on this issue.

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

I hope you are still reading this and can possibly escalate this issue.

It appears that with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (Version 2018.011.20040) only renders in Software Mode on a PC. In the preferences it is set to "Preferred Renderer: DirectX 9". But the scene is definitely in software mode.

This exact same scene in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (Version 2018.0.11.20040 ie the same exact number) renders perfect, using hardware acceleration.

Due to the Reader not supporting hardware acceleration is the reason why Luminance and Environment maps were not showing (which look amazing in the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC).

And I also believe this is the reason for the malicious error warning. Since the file works beautifully in Acrobat Pro DC, but in the read with software rendering it is extremely slow and clunky even on my 10 core i7 machine. So a less powerful machine will mostly likely not be able to rotate the scene, causing it to hang and display the error message.

I will look for another place to log this as a bug, since it is quiet serious and will kill all existing 3D PDF documents that make use of high quality textures when rendering.

Best Regards,

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screen shot and PDF document of this issue. This was taken on a Windows 10 PC running a Nvidia 1080.

On the left is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (Version 2018.011.20040)

On the right is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (Version 2018.011.20040)

They both have the "Preferred Renderer" set to "DirectX 9" in the Preferences->3D & Multimedia setting.

adobebug.jpg

Here is a link to the file: Dropbox - Untitled 1.pdf

As you can see on the left Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is only ever rendering in software mode and only showing the environment map (which is also rotated incorrectly).

On the right you can see that Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is rendering in hardware mode and showing both the luminance and environment map.

Why are they different? Don't they both internally use exactly the same renderer? Why does Adobe Acrobat Reader DC drop down to software mode?

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kent,

I want to thank you for helping me trouble shoot this issue and for your responsiveness in the support of 4dPublish. It's really a great plugin and works as advertised, so I want to make sure people finding this thread don't get a bad impression of it.

You've been really helpful in identifying the issue for me.

Sincerely,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

No problem. I want this solved as much as you do. Looks like it started happening back in November last year, at least it was reported back then as well: Re: Slow 3D rendering in Acrobat Reader DC

Best,

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems the rendering issue is a security issue. If you disable "Enable protected mode at startup" then the file loads in and displays correctly with hardware acceleration. However I do not know why exactly hardware rendering is considered a security risk.

Preferences -> Security (Enhanged) -> unbox "Enable Protected Mode at startup"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines