• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index using styles

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible, in RH7, to assign index entries using styles? For example I would like to only have words or phrases with a particuar heading style display in the index.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat

Not in version 7. Version 8 may offer you that capability with its new scripting capabilities. You may be able to define a script that will traverse your topics searching for a style and add them to the index accordingly.

I don't believe any such script ships with RoboHelp so it would likely be custom developed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The index keywords are whatever you set up for the topic so isn't that in your control. I must be missing something here.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, it could be me that is miisng something. While I have created a small index I haven't dug too deeply into what all can be done with an index in RH.

I have a huge project with several hundred topics and each topic has a table with one to many rows. My guess is that there are well over a 100 rows. Each row has a title that uses the style Heading 3. I was hoping I could have the Index find all instances of Heading 3 and turn them into index entries. It would be kind of like MS Word does when you create a TOC.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option you want is not supplied as Rick explained. Indexing can be entirely automated (don't go there) or you do it topic by topic.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Pat,
As specified by Rick and Peter, this custom action can be achieved by using the scripting support present in RH8.
I have created a sample script file which does the work specified by you. Just download the script file and import it in RH8, and open the project. you need to modify the script file to include the tags you want to scan for. Right now the script searches for h1 and h3 tags, but you can include tags as required and save the script file. Select run from scripting explorer pod and boom... it will create all the index entry specified in the project.

You need to have RH8 to run the script file. If you dont have RH8, I really encourage you to download the trial version of RH8 to check new features in RH8.
Please click on the link to download the scripting file Script File for Index creation

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Praful, thank you very much. I don't currently have RH8, but I would love to take a look at it (IT willing of course). From reading about RH8 it seems to have a lot of really great features that we could use.

Thanks again for the help and the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp