Exit

Adobe CEF Helper Crashes daily on Mac

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been getting this error (at least) daily

Process:               Adobe CEF Helper [622]

Path:                  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/*/Adobe CEF Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe CEF Helper

Identifier:            Adobe CEF Helper

Version:               4.3.0.256 (4.3.0.256)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        Creative Cloud [515]

Responsible:           Adobe CEF Helper [622]

A little more info

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

I'm on a (late 2013) Mac Pro, running High Sierra (10.13), it's been going on for a while -- I also saw it on 10.12

Any ideas? It doesn't seem to be impacting anything. The only thing I can think of that might be unusual about my configuration is that I used to have Lightroom installed, but removed it.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

do you have anything cc installed?

if yes, update your cc desktop app.

if not,

uninstall everything cc including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

restart your computer (don't skip this)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have anything cc installed?

if yes, update your cc desktop app.

if not,

uninstall everything cc including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have adobe products installed, primarily photoshop.

I tried your suggestion, but the problem remained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then follow the 2nd group of suggestions by uninstalling everything, cleaning and then reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

may you be more precise? If I have cc installed I must upgrade it. If I don't have any cc installed I must uninstall it?

Sorry if I look ironic, but I'm confused, what is CEF Helper? Even on my Mac it crashes daily.

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Marcello

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

follow each step you can:

reinstall the cc desktop app, https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud.

if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 3 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)

use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I was extorted into buying the Adobe Cloud was because, as I was told, the reason my computer was crashing previously was because of my wonderful and loved CS5 programs were making my new mac pro crash,  I reluctantly upgraded, this month, to the "All Program CC"  now I am crashing the same way because of   Adobe CEF Helper.

This brings me to the question, was it   Adobe CEF Helper making my computer crash before and not CS5.

Is the   Adobe CEF Helper fix for me to reinstall all my programs even though they are brand new?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say, but I find it unacceptable to make the user (customer) go through such an elaborate and time-consuming routine without any further explanation or apology from Adobe.

This error of Adobe CEF Helper crashing daily (after every sleep-wake event) is apparently caused somewhere in the complex set-up of the CC environment, and I think that Adobe should do better and put effort in fixing this instead of putting their customers up with such an elaborate workaround routine that will cost them hours of their (productive) time and of which the success is dubious. And even if it helps I'm afraid it is temporarily at best.

Of course, this way Adobe doesn't have to divert any resources to fixing the issue .. they rather put their effort in developing more marketable features. So, they turn it into a customer's problem.

Again, I'm sorry to sound so irritated. But come on: this isn't an open source project where you can rightfully expect to be asked to put in some effort yourself. We pay good money for CC, and I really do feel annoyed by the way this issue is brushed aside; no explanation, no apology, just instructions to go through an elaborate routine - in other words, take it or leave it, it's your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums. 

using a browser that allows popups and cookies,  contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'chat', http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html

or contact the Adobe Twitter team at @AdobeCare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't give a damn about us, we are on a monthly extortion scheme and are trapped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this crash/message multiple times per day - 5 times yesterday.   This is on a new Mac / High Sierra with a fresh installation of Adobe CC (Photography plan).

(Furthermore ... many of Adobe's components are 32 bit - and will not work in the next release of MacOS which will prohibit 32 bit apps.)

Have to wonder what Adobe software engineers are working on if stability / robustness is not priority number one before new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having intermittent crashes on my iMac for a while: sometimes no crash for days or even weeks, sometimes 3-4 times a day.

Yesterday, I did the complete uninstall and clean routine recommended above, took the extra step of finally updating my iMac to High Sierra, and then reinstalling Adobe CC.

I have crashed 3 times today, and each crash report points to Adobe CEF Helper.

And how is this question "answered" if the OP tried the solution but still crashes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how is this question "answered" if the OP tried the solution but still crashes?

how do you know that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading the thread in order, the third post, after the "solved" post:

"I tried your suggestion, but the problem remained."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

read the next msg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CEF Helper has stopped working. August 29, 2018

Software:  Adobe Creative Suite - latest version

Computers:  HP G1 desktops and Lenovo T460 laptop

Solidstate hard drives w/ 8gigs of RAM

Windows 7 64bit

Hi everyone.  I work at a mid-sized law firm with 6 users who have Adobe Creative Suite installed.  4 of them have been getting this error for a few weeks now but I cant determine when the problem really started because it wasnt initially reported.

I have uninstalled all applications on 2 computers and reinstalled the suite.  2 days later the same error came back.  I contacted Adobe Chat support and they were not able to help.  I contacted my software vendor and they put me in touch w/ a higher support rep in India.  She connected to my machine and noticed some errors so we removed all apps again.  She ran a 'Cleanup Tool' that completely removed registry settings and we deleted the Adobe folders in Program Data, Common and Program Files.  We could not delete the Adobe folder in Program Files x86. 

We downloaded CC again and reinstalled Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat.  So this would be a 3rd installation on this machine.  Less than an hour later the error came back.  The user did not have any Adobe applications open.

Anyone suggesting to remove and reinstall the applications to fix this is 100% wrong.

I'm going to try to delete or rename CEFHelper.exe to see what that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My macOS Sierra is having serious issues with this program.  The machine is also performing poorly.  These reports are fairly recent so I hope Adobe is noticing that something is off with their software.  @Adobe consider "Stability" and "Compatibility" your highest priority if you need some "new features" to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a clean install wipe of my hard drive because apple said to .... since I am having daily crashes (35min) now i notice that alot of the crashes are due to adobe so. still having issues and did all the updates as well as uninstall reinstall both adobe and apple are sucking at this point  10.15.5 OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm on an Early 2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina, with 8GB of memory and I never had a problem with this specific service before, but it's been crashing my MBP almost daily for months now! I have an after market hard-drive (and OWC  Aurora X2) so I thought maybe that was the issue. It randomly started happening, and it's still random. It'll even happen when I'm not using Photoshop at all! I use Photoshop very lightly, and I have CC.

I've already wiped my machine, installed a full backup from time machine--same issue. I wiped the machine and then only recovered select files that I wanted--same issue. That's including a completely fresh install of CC after having wiped the machine clean and started over.

I'm not really sure what to do... I thought that was a hard drive issue, but is it really worth deleting everything and going back to the Apple HD just to see? The Apple HD is only 128GB, that'll barely give me enough room... hmm 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines