Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Query of Queries on 2 datasources

Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do a query of queries on 2 different datasources. I run a gaming site and have a 2 programs that are used for tracking. One is written in php, by someone else, that tracks members point status. The other, I wrote in CF, allows members to set up treasure priorities. Both are stand alone on my server. What I am trying to do is set it up so the program I wrote in CF will display the # of points each member has. I know how to query the separate tables but how can I combine them? Also, how can I set it up so that it only shows the members that match. i.e. I want to make sure that if John Smith has 100 points, the query will show John Smith's 100 points on my table. Here is what the query looks like as I have done it. As you can see, I'm confused about the FROM and WHERE statements. I played with it last night and couldn't get it to work. Thanks.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009
You could try the same pinciple/idea of what I posted in thread http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=1&catid=7

Copied/Pasted from that thread:

You could read thru the first query and add the contents to a temp query assigning a sort by field and then read thru the second query and add it to the same temp query with a sort by field. Then do a query of that temp query.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIGhunter wrote:
> FROM what goes here?

Since this is a query of queries, the names of the queries go there.

I.E.

FROM dsA, dsB
WHERE user_name = member_name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ValueList() function would probably come in handy here. Usage is described in the cfml reference manual. If you don't have one, the internet does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try the same pinciple/idea of what I posted in thread http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=1&catid=7

Copied/Pasted from that thread:

You could read thru the first query and add the contents to a temp query assigning a sort by field and then read thru the second query and add it to the same temp query with a sort by field. Then do a query of that temp query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This leads me to a new question.

How can I output my query in my current table without rewriting everything?

My original query is for the table and if I use the above code with #combinedNames.member_earned# the table is 1 number. Like this: Preview

It's the 2nd column. Now, If I break the cfoutput and put in a new cfoutput with the combined queries, it totally jacks up the table all over the page. Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of breaking the query, try using, for column two (instead of a cfoutput) a
<cfloop query="combinedNames">

</cfloop>

Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually got it working using the combined query instead of 2 queries. The only problem is that if the player is organized and declares a priority before going to their 1st event, their name won't show up. Of course this shouldn't really matter since they have to participate before they can have a priority. Here is how I got it to work:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for teaching me something new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I get a lot of help from EasyCFM. One of the guys there posted a Link on how to do outter joins on QofQs. That way you get all the information from both tables, even if they aren't the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation