• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic has changed the way my photos look - the RAW images have weird blocky shadows

New Here ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently I've noticed that all my photos (Canon RAW - CR2) look a bit weird in LR and its the same in Library as well as Develop. The shadows all look very blocky and the light areas lighter than they should be. I have recently bought a new camera and it may have happened when I first started putting photos from my new camera into LR or it may just be a coincidence! I upgraded my old Canon 650D to an 800D.

I have attached 2 screen grabs showing an extreme example of whats happening from a blurry shot of a tree at dusk. The first image shows how the photo currently looks in Windows Explorer which is also how it should look. The second image shows how the photo looks now in LR. It also has the same distorted appearance in Photoshop.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this has happened and how to fix it - many thanks!

Photo as seen in Windows Explorer - which is how it should look

photo in windows explorer.jpg

Photo as Lightroom Classic now shows it

photo in LR Classic.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

I'm not seeing the issue in LR either. Try changing the monitor profile to sRGB if using a standard display or Adobe RGB if using a wide gamut display.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default camera profile was changed in LR Classic from Adobe Standard to Adobe Color, which has higher contrast and color saturation. Try setting it to Adobe Standard. If still seeing this issue please export one of the CR2 files to DNG file format and post to a file sharing site such as Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for the reply. I've had a look at the Profiles in Develop and changed them from Adobe Colour to Adobe Standard but although it makes a small difference it doesn't solve the problem - my photos are still unusable. Unfortunately I'm away from my computer now for a week so I won't be able to look at this problem again for a while. I'll try posting again in a week or two and see what happens then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am now back at my computer - Can I send you a dng file via wetransfer using the email address you sent? - many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, just copy & paste the WeTransfer share link into your reply here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there

heres the download link - hope it works OK

Download link

https://we.tl/RNZt26PtdO

1 file

IMG_9474.dng

many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things first:

• Windows Explorer shows you the camera-generated embedded jpeg, not the raw data. So there will be a difference vs. Lightroom.
  • Windows Explorer is also not color managed, which means it's not using your monitor profile to correct for your display.

I downloaded the file, and this is how it looks here, with ACR 10.3 and the default Adobe Color profile. Adobe Standard looks very similar, only with slightly more muted color.

test.jpg

I think you have a defective monitor profile. Are you using a calibrator? If you don't, you probably got a bad manufacturer profile distributed through Windows Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing the issue in LR either. Try changing the monitor profile to sRGB if using a standard display or Adobe RGB if using a wide gamut display.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to D Fosse and Todd Shaner! I followed the link to the lightroom queen and changed my monitor profile to sRGB and my photos now look normal again. I didn't think that it could be a monitor problem because nothing else on my computer seemed to have changed it was only my photos viewed in LR and PS that looked weird. So I guess you're right that maybe the monitor profile was changed by a Windows update - very confusing I would never have worked that out!

Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a monitor calibrator but as my photography is a hobby not a business I'm not sure if I'll go down that route!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model monitor are you using? You may be able to find a calibration profile at TFT Central's website. Follow the 'Quick Browse' instructions for installing the profile and changing your monitor's control settings. The best solution is to buy or borrow a good monitor calibrator, but this should get you closer.

ICC Profiles and Monitor Settings Database - TFTCentral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My monitor is a Dell U2311H. I've now got the original monitor profile, the sRGB profile and a TFT profile. The original (and probably corrupt) profile is still terrible but the sRGB and the TFT profiles are both good although I can't see much difference between them. Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't forget to adjust the monitor's controls using TFT's calibration settings. That's the most important part of calibrating a display. If unclear how to do that let me know.

Notes   Brightness       Contrast          R         G         B          Preset Mode                                                                    

A00            31                    75                 87      100      93        Custom (RGB)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines