Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 7 Crashes with new Topic Creatiion

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title says it all.

I create a new topic, RoboHelp 7 crashes. Over and over and . . .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does it happen with ANY project or just one?

Where is the project located? On your local C drive (which is where you want it) or is it on a network drive? (If on a network drive this could be the cause).

Do you have ample disk space?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started using the app on this machine.

All project folders are on the C drive, not on a network drive.

Apparently, of the two projects I currently have, one crashes when I create a new file, the other doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Source control involved? Files read only?

Just sorta thinking out loud a bit...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I take that back.

I created a new project, and that one too is crashing when I attempt to create a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no idea what you mean by "source control."

no, files are not read only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install RH using your ID and with Administrator rights?

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not install RH. Our IT department did. Twice. Once on one computer, where the problem first presented itself, then again on a new computer, where the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But did they do it using one of their logons, which will have had admin rights, or with the users logon which may not have had admin rights?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With their logon, I imagine.

But that's irrelevant, both on its face, and in fact.

I found the problem: I used a dummy link in the template on which the new files were based, i.e., "#" instead of an actual url/page. That's all it took to break RoboHelp, and waste an afternoon chasing Adobe and our in-house IT for an answer.

Adobe Technical Help is a sorry, sorry joke. They deserve 40 lashes, and do not care if they survive them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User rights are not irrelevant to RH working properly. They may not have been the cause in this instance but that is another matter.

You don't say anywhere that you contacted Adobe so are your comments directed at Rick and myself?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, no -- Adobe Technical Support, not this forum ;-o You would not believe what I went through, all for nothing.

Actually, this forum is the only real recourse for help.

Re: user rights, dunno how our IT did it, but certainly not the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem as well sometime after I upgraded to 7.0.3; crashes after about 8-10 minutes after I open a project; for no apparent reason.  Wasn't even typing or generating anything; just opened the project.

Tried to fix by remove and reinstall from the CD back to 7.0 (make sure you deactivate the serial number before you uninstall) and it still was crashing so thought it might be a Windows Patch.

Seemed to have fixed the problem when I installed without any of RoboHelp Source control client or server.   no more crashing..  Maybe an adobe tech can respond to this and provide any information on background operations that happen about 8-10 minutes into opening a project like auto-saving something to the Robohelp Source Control product.

One recommendation; use a real source control product like VSS/TFS or Subversion if you are concerned about versioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp