• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major brush lag even with low (~30%) smoothing

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018, fully updated (upgraded to 2018 and downloaded recent update from early April/late March)

OS X, fully updated

iMac Retina 5K

16 GB Memory

Allowing PS to use 9998 MB memory (recommended: 7851-10278 MB)

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. My brushes have very noticeable lag even on low smoothing (around 30%). I'm using the basic PS brushes, and Kyle T Weber downloaded packs. I work in 300 dpi resolution and the lag is present when the brushes are small (8 px) and also when large (100+ px) but only when smoothing is on. Zooming in or out doesn't seem to make a difference. The lag appears around 25% smoothing and gets almost unusable around 45% smoothing.

Is this normal?

I'm using a fully updated Wacom Bamboo drawing tablet (it has the latest drivers, which are old, but I get the same problem with my mouse, so I don't think it's my tablet)

I have already tried the "reset preferences on quit" fix as recommended elsewhere on Adobe forums.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or need more information.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry to hear about the performance issue when using brushes, could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located under Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thank you for your response.

I unchecked "use graphics processor" and restarted Photoshop. I was using a Kyle T Webster brush at 250px and the canvas was 300dpi.

The brush still lagged horribly. I could count the seconds it took to complete a stroke.

Please, if you can offer anything else, I am happy to try it. At this point, this is terribly affecting my workflow and I will have no choice but to look into how to downgrade back to PS CC 2015.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing the information, could you please try enabling the root user account on your mac and let us know if you experience a lag in that account as well?  Steps to enable root user: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you provide the first part (cut before the plug-ins) of help/system info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump, any change, is it working now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brush smoothing is still slow, but I haven't needed it much since upgrading my tablet. 

I haven't had a chance to try it in the root server, but the last time I had a similar PS brush problem, the issue worked fine in the root server. I have to re-install PS in the root server to test it, and restart my computer several times. I just haven't had time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what do you mean by the root server? Are you working in a virtual machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not sure what you're asking for. Can you give me step-by-step?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Photoshop, go the help menu, click on system info...

Copy, paste here in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines