Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Dual Monitors and Premiere Pro CC 2017

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently built a new computer and ever since I have been having issues with CC 2017. First, I tried to set up my second display to show only the program monitor, that didn't work. It would create a black screen on my secondary monitor, I  could see my mouse pointer but nothing would be displayed. I tried switching renderers and disabling intel h.264 encoding. No luck. I then decided to just set up a dual monitor workspace. At first it was working fine, but then I had a crash and after restarting it would no longer playback any video, only audio. It usually shows a white screen for the program monitor and just blank for the source monitor, audio always plays. I reinstalled a few times, and it would fix my issue, but then it would come back. Now it won't go away, and Premiere won't work with both monitors no matter what I do. When I turn the secondary monitor off and disable it completely my video will magically show up and everything works fine, that is until I re-enable the other monitor. Screens will flash, and when Premiere comes back, I have the problem with the video not showing up. I've also tried resetting preferences and deleting caches/etc. I tried making sure the resolutions matched on both displays (one is 4k one is 2k, so I tried making both 2k) After a lot of searching the web I can't find any answers to my question. I've found a few people with similar issues but none of their solutions have been able to resolve this issue. And sadly, my projects will not render anymore either, even with one monitor... Other than Premiere my new system is performing flawlessly. I have tried reverting to CC 2015 but because initially things worked for a bit, I will lose over 10 hours of work by reverting. This makes no sense.

Version: Premiere Pro CC 2017.0

Plugins: RED GIANT Colorista IV, PluralEyes 4, Universe 2

CPU: Intel Core i7 6850k OC 4.5gHz (load temp 40c)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 1080 GTX driver 376.33

MOBO: Asus Rampage V Edition 10

MEMORY: 64gb 3200mhz

HDD: 16tb RAID 10

SSD: Samsung Pro m.2 1tb

MONITORS: BenQ BL2711U & Asus PG279Q

Codec related stuff installed: CCCP, K-Lite Codec Pack, Quicktime, GoPro Studio... cant think of anything else I downloaded for codecs... At first I thought this may have been the issue, as WMP wouldn't play some of my raw mp4 files either. By installing the above codec packs I was able to get them to work. Maybe there is something I am forgetting, it's been 5 years since I built my last machine and had to reinstall basic codecs etc.

Basically, dual monitors will not work for me and I spent $1,500 on my monitors alone to be able to do this. I'm a couple days behind on work now trying to figure this out. Probably should have posted here sooner.

Sorry if I forgot any details, I will provide them ASAP if asked.

And thank you in advance!

[Moderator note: moved to Hardware Forum to facilitate best tech answers]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Problem solved! After extensive testing it turns out that the problem was with a program called Sonic Suite 2 that came with my motherboard. I'm not sure what it even does, I think it's for hearing better while gaming... who've thought that'd be it. I am restoring my overclocks and hopefully this fixes everything. Thanks for the help everyone!

PS... After figuring out that was the issue I did a search of Sonic Suite 2 conflicts with Premiere and voila...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85629-G752VL-DH71-Sonic-Studio-II-conflicts-with-Unity-v5-3-5-and-Premiere-CS5-5

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if SAFEHARBOR11​, RoninEdits​, or perhaps Trent Happel​ might be of assistance.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope. Thanks for the plug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two monitors set up for Premiere. But I set them up in Windows first. Go to Control Panel (look up Display, I think - I am not at my editing computer to confirm) to set up dual monitors first. There may be other ways, but this way I have no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitors are set up properly. I've tried using both as primary display, turned off gsync, and have tried matching the display settings at 2k/60hz. Nothing works. I know my way around windows and how to set up most things, hence the enthusiast build haha. Thanks for trying though man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to make a video tonight showing the issues. Hoping I can get this resolved soon. Sucks spending $6000 on a new workstation and it not working. The HDDs in raid are 8tb Seagate Enterprise drives. They're made for raid so shouldn't be the issue... Just throwing that out there as well. Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that kind of cash outlay you just want it to work. Still hoping for some major mojo to pop in here, this is past my geek-rating!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I am having the same problem and I am not using a raid setup. Everything was fine until a few days ago when this started. I am running CPU: AMD FX 8350, RAM 16gb DDR3, GPU: Asus Gtx 750 ti, Hard Drives : Samsung 500 ssd evo for boot and main drive, 2 Samsung ssd evo 250's one for cache and one for active projects and a 4tb WD My Book for Storage with 4tb  WD My Cloud for backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... not a happy day, I'd guess?

Still hoping we can get some of the big guns on here ... Bill Gehrke​, Vidya Sagar​, anyone?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Neil but I am a generally a single monitor user.  A WAG would be to roll back to an earlier GPU driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They released a hotfix the other day, but didn't help. I am running the same driver on my secondary PC with a single display and it all works fine 😕

Secondary PC

core i7 3770k OC 4.2ghz

Nvidia geforce 970 gtx

16gb ram

Very old display tho. 1080p/60hz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear your having the same problem, it at least is somewhat comforting knowing I am not the only one searching for a solution. Stay tuned bud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just for measures I have run several benchmarks... Unigine, 3D Mark, Prime95, all without issue, so my system is stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... we really need perhaps a staffer on this? Kevin-Monahan​ could you shake out some support on this? I'm not doing too well!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I ran a memory diagnostic last night to make sure the issue wasn't my memory. I have limited my OC by just going with the XMP profile, 4.0 ghz 3200mhz. I also made sure that the RAID is stable, as well as anything else I could. I rolled back my nVidia drivers also. I just noticed that my monitors had been reset to Generic PNP monitors in the device manager. I went ahead and reinstalled the drivers. Maybe that happened when I used DDU to remove nVidia drivers before rollback. I have reinstalled that drivers and I am going to test a few scenarios now. I will make a video of everything in bandicam or something, starting from a clean install of Premiere Pro CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spinning_Onion rules (and whoever else came before you). Have an Asus GL502VS laptop with GTX 1070 nVidia card. With Premiere Pro 2019 every time I plugged in an external monitor the video failed to show up in either Source or Program window (or scrub in media browser) and would hang Premiere on exit keeping it running in the backgroud until forced to close. It took me a while to find this because "blank video Premiere Windows 10" does not work unless you add "dual monitor." I have suffered for months now, so this is a real victory.

After deleting Sonic Suite (Sonic Studio + Sonic Radar) all works perfectly. Sonic Suite is included with built-in Realtek audio chipsets for EQ, surround, 3D, other tweaks so not really required (Realtek is on a few million motherboards over the last 10+ years, pretty common). The odd part is the audio program stopped the video from playing (would have guessed this would be a display card issue).

I can edit on the road again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! After extensive testing it turns out that the problem was with a program called Sonic Suite 2 that came with my motherboard. I'm not sure what it even does, I think it's for hearing better while gaming... who've thought that'd be it. I am restoring my overclocks and hopefully this fixes everything. Thanks for the help everyone!

PS... After figuring out that was the issue I did a search of Sonic Suite 2 conflicts with Premiere and voila...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85629-G752VL-DH71-Sonic-Studio-II-conflicts-with-Unity-v5-...

Do I feel like a dummy? Yep. haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, nice sleuthing there! And glad you're going again.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great... I don't have Sonic Suite 2 but probably some other software conflict. I will roll back to previous version of Premier if I can't find it. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey TxJazzman,

Try disabling applications in the system tray. That is how I found the culprit. First, close all open programs in the system tray except for the obvious. Then, just to confirm it isn't conflicting, disable your virus software. Launch Premiere and see if video displays, tip: make a new project with only 1 video clip so it loads quick for testing purposes. If the video is showing up, we are getting somewhere. Close Premiere and re-enable your anti-virus, then relaunch Premiere. If Premiere still works, it isn't a conflict with antivirus. From there, start the programs you closed from system tray one at a time, trying to boot Premiere for each one, until you find the one that makes it stop working. That's how I solved it anyway. Didn't get much sleep last night, sorry if my English is shotty lol. Also, what is your motherboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to try this later today thanks. My motherboard is Asus M5A99X Evo 2.0. I built this pc about 2 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe it was Sonic Studio of all things. I was having issues anytime I had more than one monitor plugged in, no video would playback anywhere, and premire always dropped to background tasks instead of exiting properly. This solved it though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to follow up. I finished rendering my project! Quick breakdown... ~ 120 min sequence with heavy grading (Red Giant Colorista IV and Lumetri) and heavy effects/transitions (Red Giant Universe) rendered in ~45 mins! (6600mb file!). With unsharp filter time increases to ~2 hours roughly. On my old system (i7 3770k / GeForce 970 GTX) this same project took 4-5 hours without unsharp mask and OVER 7 hours with unsharp mask! That is a total performance increase of over 60%! Schweet Now I am going to go back and OC the CPU back to 4.5 ghz, RAM back to 3200mhz and GPU to 2ghz. Going to try and lock in a stable OC for rendering. Thanks for the help everyone, stay in touch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg thank you so much i fxed the problem!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines