• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw files importing into Lightroom and Photoshop very grainy

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble with my raw files importing into Lightroom and Photoshop appearing very grainy.  I tried importing into both Lightroom and Photoshop to eliminate the probleming being in one application over the other.  I asked another photographer to upload one of my photos that appears grainy to me and when he loaded into his lightroom it was perfectly fine, no grain look.  I know its no a problem with my exposure and I feel strongly that its a problem with either a setting on my Mac or in the import for lightroom or photoshop.  I don't know a lot about Adobe Camera Raw but I am assuming this is a plug in that updates with Lightroom and there isn't anything for me to change there.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could possibly try? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the entire Lightroom window, with an image that illustrates the problem at 1:1, and the Histogram, Basic panel and Detail panel visible, like in the example below.

Also tell us what camera was used, and the ISO the image was shot at.

lr-window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched the internet for a solution to this problem and this is what everyone assumes is that its an exposure issue.  I assure you it is not an exposure issue.  Does anyone know if there are import settings for RAW files that I need to look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not assuming anything, which is why I asked for a screenshot, that might give some clues to what the problem is.

As for import settings, make sure that Develop settings are set to None under Apply During Import in the import dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirmed the develop settings within the "apply during import" is set to none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is assuming anything. Post a screenshot as requested.. Then we can look at the image, the settings you have chosen, and then perhaps we can make some suggestions. It would be good to know what version of Lightroom you're using as well as the camera model that took the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.03.03 PM (2).png

I used a canon 70D with my ISO at 500

I am using LightroomCC 2015.7 release and Camera Raw 9.7

Here is a screen shot of my import settings:

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.11.03 PM (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, Lightroom doesn't do anything to the master images. They are never modified in any way. The import process is simply one of making Lightroom aware of the images and transferring them from the card if that is their origin. A few things to consider. It's possible to make the Lightroom default settings ISO-specific. I know that ISO 500 isn't all that high, but you might want to take a look at the luminance setting to see if that will correct the graininess. If it does then you can save new defaults with that setting  and make the default settings specific to different ISO. Just to reiterate, Lightroom didn't  make your images grainy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be something set wrong as the same photo imported into another photographers lightroom did not have the grainy look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it has to be the settings in your Lightroom. I suggest you go to whoever has the other computer and see what his settings are in the Detail section. Lightroom cannot make your image grainy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 70D is an APS-C camera, and with that size sensor, some noise is to be expected at ISO 500.

I am not familiar with this camera, but the image shows more noise than I would expect from my Nikon D7100, which also has an APS-C sensor. This page Canon EOS 70D Review: Digital Photography Review confirms that your camera is a little noisier than mine.

You didn't include the Detail panel in the screenshot, but if LR's default sharpening was applied, everything in the image would be sharpened, including noise in flat areas. You can control what is sharpened by dragging the Masking slider to the right (hold down Option to see the effect). This slider creates a mask that protects flat (noisy) areas from sharpening. When you hold down Option and drag the slider, the image turns to black and white - white areas will be sharpened and black areas will not be sharpened.

My guess is that the other photographer used other settings in the Detail panel, possibly with Masking set to a high value.

Also remember that sharpening and noise reduction must be applied and evaluated at 1:1 view - any other view will be inaccurate and misleading.

You did mention exposure previously, and the image would have been a little less noisy if it had received more exposure.

The image would then appear too light, but you would correct this by dragging the Exposure slider to the left in Lightroom.

See Exposing a digital image

You can, if you like, upload the raw file to Dropbox and post the link here, so that we could take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Im about 2 years to late but i am having the same problem with my Canon 800D with an ISO of 200. Like yourself its fine on other Photographers light rooms straight from the import but mine has the same grainy/noise as yours in the screen shot. The setting are the same that i can see when we both first imported. Is there any chance you had got to the bottom of it in the end???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The noise is either caused by underexposure or your develop settings, or a combination of the two.

Please post a screenshot of the entire Lightroom window, with an image that illustrates the problem at 1:1, and the Histogram, Basic panel and Detail panel visible. See post 1 above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines