Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported File Too Big

Contributor ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I'm looking to get some of my photos printed.

The trouble is, when I export any of them and I try to restrict the size I get a problem.

The printer says they want no bigger than 8000k, but when I export them from LR, I get sizes like 2.43mb.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- To what format are you exporting?

- Compression settings, size in pixel ... we need much more information.

Easiest would be posting a screen-capture of your export settings.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8000KB = 7.8MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response.

I've tried many combinations.

Resize on and off, different limits to size etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, as pointed out above, the 2.43 MB is less than 8000K = 7.8MB, did you perhaps make a typographical error somewhere?

There's usually little value in exporting at 400 pixels per inch, most printers will do a great job when the resolution is 300 pixels per inch, and unless you are printing HUGE prints, you don't need a width and height of 8000x8000. Try again by unchecking "resize to fit".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj.

I have tried numerous different values. None have worked.

What I have found is reducing the quality, but I don't want to do this, but it's the only thing I've found

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel dimensions of the original image?

And what size print do you want to make?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BigDingus  wrote

Thanks dj.

I have tried numerous different values. None have worked.

What I have found is reducing the quality, but I don't want to do this, but it's the only thing I've found

Honestly, I think you have misunderstood.

By changing these values, the quality of the print will not change. No one — NO ONE — can tell the difference between a print made from a 400ppi photo versus a print made from a 300ppi photo. Similarly, no one can tell the difference between an 8x6 print made from a photo that is 8000x8000, versus an 8x6 print made from a photo that is 4000x4000.

Also, you have not yet cleared up the problem mentioned above, that your 2.43MB export IS LESS THAN THE STATED LIMIT of 8000K=7.8MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the original size was an 11.7MB RAW and I want Bonus Print to make an 8X6 photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try these settings:

Image Sizing > change Width and Height to Dimensions > Change pixels to inches: 8inches by 6 inches > Resolution 300 pixels per inch.

What is the file size now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cmgap.

it's now 3.35 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoken to the printer. They said they can work with that.

Thanks everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines