• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flags missing when importing catalog

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have just copied a catalog from my laptop to my Pc.

all metadata and star ratings still show up on my oc but not my flags.

It is not that I don’t see the flags. They have not been included in either the export on my laptop or the import to my Lightroon on pc.

I have tried making a new copy but same is happening.

Anyone have any idea how I can recover the flags?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

When exporting RAW images from Lightroom  the IPTC metadata includes star ratings, and color labels. Flags are not included in the export. You can add keywords Flag, NoFlag for example if you want that to show up in the metadata with the EXIF data and copyright info.

What else is not included in the XMP sidecar files:

- Edit history

- Collections and stacks

- Virtual copies

- disabled

More about: XMP Sidecar Files « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us the exact step-by-step procedure you used when transferring from the old computer to the new computer. Leave nothing out. Use the actual Lightroom name of the steps in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure about the right LR text since I have a Dutch version, so it's my translation.

Laptop:

Right click on specific folder:  Export folder as a catalog

Lightroom on PC:

File: import from other catalog

Choose/open the .lrcat file

Choose all files

cmgap​ tells me that flags are not included in XMP files. That explains it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annemiekv44059211  wrote

I'm not sure about the right LR text since I have a Dutch version, so it's my translation.

Laptop:

Right click on specific folder:  Export folder as a catalog

Lightroom on PC:

File: import from other catalog

Choose/open the .lrcat file

Choose all files

cmgap  tells me that flags are not included in XMP files. That explains it.

No, that doesn't explain anything. In fact, it is just plain wrong in your situation. If you are using the File->Import from another Catalog command, the flags should come over that way. You are not using XMP to transfer the data.

I don't know why the flags didn't come over, I have seen other people have the same problem, and I am wondering if you perform a step where you read the metadata from the files; or a step where you do an File->Import Photos and Videos, or is there a step where Lightroom indicates that the metadata differs between the database and the files, and so you select read metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not perform any other steps. Nor did I get the opportunity to make choices either.

I have exported and imported folders before and everything went okay. But that was in older versions of LR.

If it is not as cmgap said then I do not know what happened. I am now trying with the work around of putting the text 'flag' in the metadata. It is not the way it should work, but it sure can help me get my flags back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting RAW images from Lightroom  the IPTC metadata includes star ratings, and color labels. Flags are not included in the export. You can add keywords Flag, NoFlag for example if you want that to show up in the metadata with the EXIF data and copyright info.

What else is not included in the XMP sidecar files:

- Edit history

- Collections and stacks

- Virtual copies

- disabled

More about: XMP Sidecar Files « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the flags are nog in the XMP files, that explains it.

Good to know.

Also very good to know that virtual copies are nog included in XMP files. I did not know this.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now even more confused.

I made a new export as a catalog of the folder I was working on. Just to be sure I got all the flags, I added 'flag' as a keyword in the metadata. I am really happy I did that because wehn importing as a catalog in my Lightroom on the PC, again all flags are gone...... what is going on here????

Since the lastest update mysterious things have been happening to my flags (even in other folders that were already in the LR on my PC. Is this some sort of bug???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said earlier, there have been occasional other people reporting this happening with File->Import from Another Catalog. However, the expected behavior is that flags are in the catalog and should not disappear via File->Import from Another Catalog.

I would recommend you report it as a bug here: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines