• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Shift Lightroom -> Photoshop -> Lightroom

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use edit in photoshop then import back to lightroom there is a huge colorshift in the imported image. I have done several tests and the histogram shifts slightly when back in lightroom.

Here is the original from lightroom and import from Photoshop.

Lightroom pain original.jpg

Here are both with presets applied

Lightroom pain.jpg

Here are my color profiles.

Monitor: sRGB

Photoshop: ProPhoto

Lighroom (to photoshop): Prophoto

This is driving me crazy! Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

No, you will not, unless you have messed up Photoshop's color management by changing settings without knowing what you're doing.

Photoshop color management policies should always be set to preserve embedded profiles. Then the profile out of Lightroom will be preserved and override the working RGB in Photoshop.

Even if the profile is converted in Photoshop, you will not see a difference. A profile conversion will never result in a general color shift - if it does, color management isn't working as

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, always compare LR to other applications like Photoshop for color and tone ONLY in Develop module. With both images at 1:1 (100% zoom ratio).

Next check your Photoshop color preferences to ensure all policy is set to Preserve Embedded Profile!

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that and no change. My Photoshop management policies are all set to preserve embedded profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A preset (or any numerical adjustment) will not have the same effect on a raw file vs. a rendered RGB file. One works on the sensor data, a very dark/compressed grayscale image - the other on gamma and color space encoded RGB data with a lot of information discarded. So this is expected.

As long as Lightroom displays the raw file the same way as Photoshop displays the RGB file, everything's normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are completely right. I did some tests and even rendering out the original raw file (no photoshop) to an RGB jpeg yielded the same results. It seems that quite a bit of data is being thrown out converting a raw file to rgb.

However, the color shift still presents a problem. Is there a way to build a profile to counteract this so I can apply to all RGB images to fit more of the intended look of the raw file + preset? Or is this just something I have to adjust per image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

savage08  wrote

have you setup like this?? https://www.slrlounge.com/does-your-image-look-different-in-lightroom-photoshop/

This repeats a myth that seems impossible to defeat. It pops up again and again.

No, color settings do not need to match in Lightroom and Photoshop!

The profile coming out of Lightroom will be preserved in Photoshop. That's the whole idea of color managed applications.

If you get a color shift from one to the other, it's for entirely different reasons, usually a bad monitor profile. Or it could be that you have turned color management "off" in Photoshop, which is something you should never do under any circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you will get a color shift if you go from Lightroom (Melissa RGB) To photoshop if your photoshop is set to Srgb..  that is not new and is a fakt..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you will not, unless you have messed up Photoshop's color management by changing settings without knowing what you're doing.

Photoshop color management policies should always be set to preserve embedded profiles. Then the profile out of Lightroom will be preserved and override the working RGB in Photoshop.

Even if the profile is converted in Photoshop, you will not see a difference. A profile conversion will never result in a general color shift - if it does, color management isn't working as it should. The most common reason for that is users changing settings without knowing what they do.

The only difference you will ever see in a profile conversion is clipping, if the target color space is smaller than the source. But unless you have a wide gamut monitor you will never see that. The monitor clips everything to sRGB anyway. With a wide gamut monitor you may see clipping from Adobe RGB to sRGB - but not from ProPhoto to Adobe RGB. That's outside monitor gamut.

Lightroom uses a custom color space internally, with ProPhoto primaries but a linear tone response curve. That's not Melissa RGB. Melissa RGB is only used for the histogram and sliders. It again has ProPhoto primaries, but sRGB tone response curve.

Lightroom's linear ProPhoto color space is not related to the 1.8 ProPhoto used in Photoshop. And they don't need to be. Photoshop's working RGB can be whatever you choose it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you will get a color shift mostly in the blues.. this is not from me this is from a Adobe engineer a wall back..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are confused by a number of issues. First, Melissa RGB is the name for the RGB color space used in LR and ACR for the Histogram and RGB values outside of soft proofing. It uses a ProPhoto RGB set of primaries with a 2.2 TRC, not gamma curve.

There is no way to export to Melissa RGB without first creating (I'd suggest Photoshop), an actual RGB working space profile that defines Melissa RGB. That's ProPhoto RGB primaries with a 1.0 TRC. Then after creating that specific flavor of RGB working space, you would have to select it for export in LR/ACR to produce that color space!

And no, there is no blue color shift either. Out of gamut blues or any OOG color could produce a visual difference from clipping from a larger to a smaller output color space or not be visible on a display smaller than the color gamut of the image. A color shift specifically, no.

http://digitaldog.net/files/18Color%20Management%20in%20Lightroom.pdf

savage08  wrote

you will get a color shift mostly in the blues.. this is not from me this is from a Adobe engineer a wall back..

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so why will so many pepole get color shift in the blues when they go from lightrom to photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

savage08  wrote

so why will so many pepole get color shift in the blues when they go from lightrom to photoshop?

Why not supply such files for us to examine instead of suggesting what other's, (many who don't understand the topic), think they see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally never get it. But i use proPhoto in photohop as a colorpace en export as Srgb. pepole that have have a color shift use Srgb as a colorspace in photoshop from lighroom.. way this happen i have no ide..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue now with gamma shift for "Edit in Photoshop" workflow with RAW images. Can it still be color profiles related if there is no issue when i manually export TIFF from Lightroom and then edit it in the Photoshop? Also there is no same issue for TIFF format at all for "Edit in Photoshop" workflow with same settings.

Actually i had never have this issue on my computer before i updated my video card and LR/PS CC to the latest version.PhotoshopEditGammaShift_0617.jpg

===

Upd: Just realised that i use Lightroom CC version atm because i switched from desktop version some time ago before Adobe released the Lightroom Classic CC. Now i switched to the Lightroom Classic CC and no any issue with gamma shift for "Edit in Photoshop" so far..

It looks like it is a bug in Lightroom CC latest version. I hope Adobe will fix it then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines