• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Safe to enlarge when exporting Small RAW?

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Ligthroom 6.8 on Win10.

By accident I have been using Small RAW instead of normal Large RAW with a Nikon D4s. So now all my images are 2048x1640, many smaller because of cropping.

I need to export them for print, and I have been trying to figure how the "don't enlarge"-choice works. Will I risk getting a bad result If I in the Export dialog set the Image Sizing to:

• Resize to fit 20 cm
  • Resolution 300 pixels per inch
  • uncheck the "Don't enlarge"

What would be safe width to choose for an image 1000 pixels wide? Is it possible to increase the size without it looking horrible?

Some examples of ratio px and cm:

• 1000 px & 300 ppi = 8,5 cm
  • 1600 px & 300 ppi = 13,5 cm
  • 2400 px & 300 ppi = 20 cm

What are the consequences of unchecking the don't enlarge?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we can't see your photos, we can't really be sure how the images will appear if you enlarge them. You also haven't told us how these potentially enlarged images will be viewed, which can make a big difference. But in the end, the judgment of quality (or lack of quality) has to be made by you and the people viewing your photos.

In other words, you need to try it and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  skrev

Since we can't see your photos, we can't really be sure how the images will appear if you enlarge them. You also haven't told us how these potentially enlarged images will be viewed, which can make a big difference. But in the end, the judgment of quality (or lack of quality) has to be made by you and the people viewing your photos.

In other words, you need to try it and see what happens.

Thank you.

The dance school preforming will use these images in their marketing, both online and print. (Brochures and posters.) In addition my plan was to sell images to the parents, so they may post them in social media and making prints to hang on their walls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now uploaded two tests to Dropbox, one with Don't enlarge checked, and one unchecked:

The original: Dropbox - Topp20_243.NEF

I will test these on my home printer as soon as I can, but if anyone could take a look and give me an opinion on quality loss I will very much appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like the original sample image you posted was shot in DX mode sRaw, so it is even smaller: 1046x1600 without any cropping.

Re:  "Don't enlarge" checkbox: If you select 'resize to fit' by long side for example 2000 pixels then with the "don't enlarge" checked then photos with the long side less than 2000 pixels would be skipped for resizing.

i.e. this setting just ensures photos below a certain threshold do not get enlarged but it is ok for LR to reduce larger images.when you are working with a large batch of various sizes in a batch export.

For your photos you may find the enlargements to be acceptable or not depending on how much they get enlarged/content & viewing distance of the end product.

Other programs that specialize in resizing may give you better results than Lightroom if you find the results unsatisfactory.

Quite soft edges and lost details for the enlargement viewed @1:1.

Somewhere around 3400 pixels for the long edge vs 5300 may be the most you may want to push the enlargement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the specs for the Nikon D4s I see you can use Uncompressed, Compressed or Lossless Compressed RAW NEF files. But in each case the Pixels dimensions are the same at 4928 x 3280.

The size you posted, 2048 x 1640, looks like you might be working from Smart Previews and not the actual RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  skrev

Looking at the specs for the Nikon D4s I see you can use Uncompressed, Compressed or Lossless Compressed RAW NEF files. But in each case the Pixels dimensions are the same at 4928 x 3280.

The size you posted, 2048 x 1640, looks like you might be working from Smart Previews and not the actual RAW file.

It's hidden deep in the user manual and in the menu. In the chapter called Image Recording Options, there is a table showing Image Quality and another showing Image Size and neither mentions this Small RAW. There is no warning when Nikon describes how you should choose the quality by pushing the QUAL-button and rotating the main command dial. But later in the chapter there is a small paragraph that is very, very important:

If you choose JPEG the quality and size is shown in the row in the rear control panel, and you may control it with the two dials. But the only indication that you have chosen RAW S is a small astrix and you can not switch size/quality with the sub-command dial.

You have to go into the menu and avoid the RAW S Small 2464 x 1640.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines