• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter Doesn't Convert A7iii files

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no forum to pose question about DNG Converter, and also no place in Adobe Support to ask question about DNG converter, so I hope someone in this forum can answer this question.

DNG Converter 10.2 camera lists says that Sony A7iii is supported, but when I try, I just get message that no file in the folder that contains A7iii files is recognized as supported.  Anyone get 10.2 to convert these files???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I did not see 10.3 on Adobe site, though I saw a reference to it. Only got it by your link. Also confusing, is details on 10.2 said A7iii supported.  Anyway, thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the incorrect information about ACR 10.2 supporting A7 III? The info with the DNGC 10.2 doesn't list any Sony cameras as newly supported:

The A7R III has been supported since ACR 10.1 and that camera would be supported with 10.2 so would be included in an exhaustive list of supported cameras for 10.2, but the R indicates a distinct model. separate from the models without the R.

If the information you saw was in a forum post by users such as you or I, then there may have been some crossover between discussions of the A7R III and A7 III with both being mentioned in the same thread, but that would be users being careless, not Adobe give incorrect official information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the Adobe home page is not the correct place to find the current DNG Converter. I went to www.adobe.com and not seeing DNG Converter anywhere, I used the search on the home page and found what I believed was the current version of the converter, 10.2. That was the only one displayed. Off to the right side on the page there was a link to cameras supported, and Sony A7iii was listed.  I assumed that list pertained to the only version, 10.2.  Since 10.2 didn't convert the files, i did a google search, and saw reference to 10.3, but didn't know where to get it.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest DNG Converter can always be found a one of these links: Mac  | Win

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct that the quick-results choice from DNG Converter leads to 10.2 at the moment, probably due to it being longer on the site than 10.3, or perhaps some quirk of how many people searched for it when it was the current version, although if you'd've clicked on the first item "Digital Negative (DNG) format" and scrolled down past the technical information, the links to the current software are on that page, however it is understandable you clicked on the search results that matched your computer:

Unfortunately, all you had to do was click on the breadcrumbs at the top of the page and the full list of DNG Converters would have been shown:

But how would you know, right?

One way to get to the DNG Converter from the home page is:

At the top of the home page there are some menu items:

And at the top of that page are product updates:

Leading to a page that has links to updates of most Adobe software:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm an IT pro of 35 years and didn't think of those options. I wouldn't have clicked on Digital Negative Format because I'd only expect a discussion of the format.

Anyway, thanks again

TheArtfulToad.com,

Home of Thoughtful Images, not Just Pretty Pictures, no longer exists . To purchase Artful Toad prints contact Mr. Toad for a showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Nikon user but seriously considering the switch to Sony with the A7iii. A question I have is how well does the Sony RAW 14 bit uncompressed format convert to DNG? Also what is the file size? Nikon uses a lossless compression will Sony is only uncompressed. Really surprised by that. However, I am not sure what the dng file size will be for the Sony RAW format. Not sure if its 1:1 or if the DNG will do a lossless compression.

Thanks

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My suggestion is to go to a camera store with your own card, take some samples and try them on your computer system.  In the end, it is what the image looks like, not the file size, compression algorithms or storage space.

You can also find RAW image files to download on dpreview.com that you can process in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines