• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop/ Lightroom is applying settings I dont want.

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Photoshop to Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app.]

I am using image processor to export all my images as a batch to save time because I have 40 images (I always use this).

My client is using LightRoom to review the images since is easier for them to navigate. I was told that some images come in as default but most of them LR applies adjustments.

I just loaded them up on my LR and it is doing the same. Why would some of the files be saving some sort of custom adjustments?

I checked the import settings in LR and everything is set to none/default yet the adjustment's keep appearing on the same images. It's the same adjustments every time.

Is something being embedded in photoshop when I am saving them out or is it LR causing the issue? I am leaning towards something being embedded in the jpeg since its doing it on multiple versions of LR.

I checked the Jepgs in Bridge and Photoshop and they look right, its just Lightroom that they appear.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of adjustments do you see in Lightroom?

Please post screenshots that show the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2018-06-03 11.59.33.pngScreenshot 2018-06-03 11.59.24.png

They should all be a zero like the first image when I import them, but LR is deciding to make adjustments on some of the images. The second image is with the adjustments applied. The Preset changed from as shot to custom. All the import settings are set to default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I understand - I thought that the images looked different without any ajustments being applied in Lightroom.

If you look at the History panel in Develop, are there any other steps listed than one that says Import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other history steps apart from import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Lightroom has been set up with these settings as default for one particular camera.

To remove the settings for all the files, select them all in Library, then right click and choose Develop settings > Reset, whch should set all sliders to zero/neutral.

To change the default settings for this camera, open an image in Develop and make sure all sliders are set to zero.

Then go to Develop > Set default settings, and click Update to current settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you the advice I will check this out.

Just to be clear though its happening on multpile versions of Lightroom on differnt computers. Are the lightroom settings stored in the camera The photographer is using?

The job was shot tethered to Capture One and processed via Capture One.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom settings are not stored in the camera, but you can create camera specific develop settings for a camera, which wiil be applied to every file you import from that camera.

But since this seems to be jpgs, I'm not sure if that will apply.

This is something I have no experience with, since I don't use camera specific settings.

I'll get someone to move this thread to the Lightroom Classic forum, where you may get better help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_sledder_  wrote

Just to be clear though its happening on multpile versions of Lightroom on differnt computers. Are the lightroom settings stored in the camera The photographer is using?

This could happen if your client accidentally applied a develop preset to some of the JPEG image files AND their LR Catalog Settings> Metadata option is set to 'Automatically write changes into XMP.'

Test this using your copy of the JPEG files that exhibit the issue. Make sure that you do NOT have LR Catalog Settings> Metadata option set to 'Automatically write changes into XMP.' Click on the Reset button at the bottom of the Develop settings panel with one JPEG selected. Verify the controls are now all back at 0 and then go to Develop menu Photo> 'Read Metadata from File.' If the controls change from their 0 defaults settings then you have your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Thank you for helping me with this.

So from your advice, I think I have found the culprit but I still don't know how to fix this.

For some reason, Photoshop is adding metadata to the camera section. I never used camera raw to export my files. All the settings it's adding are there in me PSD files. So when I export it's carrying them over. 

How can I delete these and why are these even here in the first place?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Photoshop that caused all these problems since the new update. Somehow photoshop has added camera metadata to half of the images which I can't seem to remove.  The ones it hasn't added them to the color profile says untagged in Bridge but its adobe 1998 in photoshop.

Just to be clear I haven't processed these in ACR. I use ACR as a smart layer from time to time but the settings don't add correlate.

I need to sort this it's a big issue. I have never seen this in over 10 years of using the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To confirm, this is just happening to some, and not all the images, right?  Are all the images captured the same and gone through the same post production workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is happening to maybe 2 thirds of the images, not all of them. The photographer captured them on multiple cameras all canon. They all went through the exact same post process in photoshop and saved out via image processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_sledder_  wrote

The photographer captured them on multiple cameras all canon. They all went through the exact same post process in photoshop and saved out via image processor.

You need to tell us in as much detail as possible every step of your workflow process from the time you receive the camera files from the photographer to the time you create the JPEG files using PS Image Processor.  Are these CR2 raw files or in-camera created JPEGs? If raw files how are you creating the PSDs. It's also confusing since you say, "All the settings it's adding are there in my PSD files." Do you also seeing these develop settings in the JPEG files created in PS using Image Processor when opened in Camera Raw plugin or Lightroom? More details and much more information needed!

"The ones it hasn't added them to the color profile says untagged in Bridge but its adobe 1998 in photoshop."

I think you are looking at two different file types. The original camera raw Canon CR2 files will show as untagged inside Bridge. That is normal since raw files have no assigned color space until the are processed with a raw converter like Camera Raw or Lightroom and exported to a non-raw file format (JPEG, TIFF). If the PSD files are also showing as untagged then you're doing something wrong in camera raw processing workflow. It's all in the details from start to finish to figure out where things are going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay sorry for the confusion but I will try and explain the workflow as simple as possible. I am only looking at one file type not two.

Standard workflow and the exact one for this job.

• Photographer captures Raw files using Capture One Pro.
  • I receive RAW flies in Capture One Pro
  • I Process Raw files as TIFF in Capture One Pro
  • I open them in Photoshop to retouch create layered files and Save as PSDs.
  • I do the work, cloning etc, ACR was not used anywhere in the process.
  • I save out my files once the work is complete using image processor as TIFF's & JPEGs ( I went back and saved everything manually using "save as" as well).
  • I send the clients the files.

The client use's bridge and LR to review and the photographer notices settings being applied to the develop settings in LR and Bridge.

After problem-solving with you I find that some of my images have Camera Raw settings added to the metadata in the PSD's. I can't delete this data.  I went back and checked the TIFFs I outputted from Capture before they went into PS and the metadata was empty.

Photoshop has added random develop settings to the metadata of my images. When I open the PSDs these setting are not even on my image they are just stored in the metadata. When I save the files out by whatever means the metadata is always attached.

In my version of Bridge I can see the metadata in the file but it doesn't change the color. The color changes on my client's version of Bridge.  In my version of LR when I import the files it adds the develop settings which it is reading from the metadata.

The only way I have found to remove this is to zero out the random develop settings in LR and re-export them and its gone. This is not ideal.

I have no idea how this metadata appeared and I have no idea how to remove it from my PSDs. Its never happened before the update. I checked the RAW preferences and everything is at default and set up correctly.

I often have to supply my clients simple layered files as PSDs so I need to know how to remove this metadata from the PSDs also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the files have NEVER been opened in ACR or LR then it's a mystery how the XMP Develop settings were applied. Please post one of the PSDs with the issue to a file sharing site and I'll take a look at it.

_sledder_  wrote

I often have to supply my clients simple layered files as PSDs so I need to know how to remove this metadata from the PSDs also.

Make sure you save some copies of the PSD files with the issue for further investigation. You can remove the Camera Raw Develop settings by selecting the PSD photo thumbnails in Bridge. Then go to menu Edit > Develop Settings > Clear Settings. Try that on one file first and see if the settings are removed when the PSD is opened in ACR or LR. It should work, but it's still a mystery how they got added to the file metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried clearing the setting in bridge yesterday as you mentioned but that entire panel is greyed out. It won’t let me press on anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Bridge and PS are you using. Please make a Bridge screenshot of what you are seeing as shown below.

EDIT: I just tried it myself using a PSD file and you are correct all of the Develop settings in the Bridge menu are grayed out! Let me look into this and see what's going on. For now you can perform the same operation using LR. You'll need to import the PSDs into LR and then use the Develop module Reset button at the bottom of the control panel to remove all of the settings from one file. Then Sync the settings from that PSD to all of the others. Finally use CTRL + S key to save the new metadata XMP settings to the files with all of them selected in the Library Grid view. If unfamiliar with LR let me know and I'll provide more guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If interested I've discovered why Bride can't clear the camera raw XMP settings in PSD files.

Bridge Clear Settings does not work with PSD FIles | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post one of the original PSD files with the issue to Dropbox or other file sharing site? I can examine it with ExifTool, which is the quickest way to determine what is embedding the CRS XMP data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking into this. I will upload an image this evening.

I read the link you sent and I opened a file via File Open> Camera Raw. It opens the PSD in ACR but all the develop settings are at zero. This makes sense since I never used ACR to create any setting's in the first place so I cant zero them out there.

Importing the PSDs into LR and removing the settings and resaving the metadata mostly worked and removed most of the offending metadata but it's still there for others and it won't delete it.

Its long winded and I think this may work for now until I figured out a solution. I created a new blank document in PS with the same pixel dimensions and profile. Saved it out with the same file name in another folder, then I drag all the contents from the original PSD into the new one and save it. All the metadata is completely clean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_sledder_  wrote

I read the link you sent and I opened a file via File Open> Camera Raw. It opens the PSD in ACR but all the develop settings are at zero. This makes sense since I never used ACR to create any setting's in the first place so I cant zero them out there.

Forget about Bridge/PS Camera Raw Filke Open. You need to share a PSD file that shows Develop settings when imported into Lightroom, which is what you're client is using. See your reply #2 above for an example. Lacking that it's doubtful any settings will be found using ExifTool. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

_sledder_ In addition to the Bridge Script and ExifTool commands found in the link in my previous post, you can also use the following script to automate the long winded process that you mention. Don’t save over the original unless you wish to remove most of the original metadata, not including photoshop:DocumentAncestors references.

// This script strips all the Exif and other information from a file.

//It is based on CopyAndPaste.js by Adobe, Copyright 2002-2003.  Adobe Systems, Incorporated.  All rights reserved.

//All amendments Copyright Brian Price 2004 (brian@secalis.com)

// This script selects all of the active document, copies the selection,

// to the clipboard, creates a new document of the same dimensions

// and pastes the contents of the clipboard into it without the Exif data,

//applying the original filename to the new stripped document

//Check if a document is open

if (documents.length > 0)

{

//Check that the document has no Layers

if (activeDocument.artLayers.length ==1)

{

// This ensures that rulerUnits are set before creating the new document.

var originalRulerUnits = preferences.rulerUnits;

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.INCHES;

// Set variables for the Initial File and filename

var originalDoc = activeDocument

var Filename = (originalDoc.name)

//Select All and Copy

originalDoc.selection.selectAll();

originalDoc.selection.copy()

// record original dimensions

var x = originalDoc.width

var y= originalDoc.height

var r = originalDoc.resolution

var m = originalDoc.Mod

var b = originalDoc.bitsPerChannel

// Close original file

originalDoc.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES)

// Create the new document and paste the original into it (without the Exif data)

var stripDoc = documents.add(x, y, r, Filename,m , DocumentFill.TRANSPARENT);

stripDoc.bitsPerChannel = b

stripDoc.paste();

stripDoc.flatten();

// Reset Variables

stripDoc = null;

originalDoc = null;

x = null;

y = null;

r = null;

m = null;

b = null

Filename = null;

// Reset rulers

preferences.rulerUnits = originalRulerUnits;

//Open alert box if the document has layers

}

else

{

alert("This Document has layers - the script cannot be used");

}

//Open alert box if there is no document open

}

else

{

alert("You must have a document open before running this script!");

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge or ExifTool can remove the camera raw settings metadata from PSD or other files:

Script here:

Re: Clear CRS Metadata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can write or find a script to remove the develop settings. There is also a key that stores whether settings have been applied or not. I'm guessing that somewhere in your workflow, you have an action or similar that is applying these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines