• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 - HATE the new Brushes Palate [2017]

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't hate the new brushes palate any more if I tried. Why do you insist on changing stuff that works perfectly? (Okay, I'm really trying not to be grumpy, but I hate having my work day extended because of an "upgrade.") On to my questions...

First, when the upgrade took place none of my brushes were moved over into the 2018 Brushes Preset folder. I had to manually move them all. That was the beginning of my annoyance.

And now that I have them in my list, all of my brushes just look like a big smear on the page. How do I get them to look like the actual shape of the brush? To see what the shape/texture/etc. is I have to select the brush and then move my cursor out onto the canvas to tell what the brush looks like. Any way to fix this?

I'm using Windows 8.something-or-other.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

In the Brushes panel options fly out (upper right corner of panel), check Brush Tip. See screen capture attached.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 6.33.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Brushes panel options fly out (upper right corner of panel), check Brush Tip. See screen capture attached.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 6.33.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Now I just have to get used to scrolling through all my folders instead of just selecting the name from a list. It's annoying here at first because I have to get them all added over. Is there a way to restore all the brush sets to the list of presets at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julieanne Kost's blog is my go to page when new features need getting to grips with.  Do you remember the updated Crop tool in CS6?  I was one of many who initially hated it, but having worked out, I'd never go back. 

Adobe Announces New Features for Photoshop CC 2018 « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will watch this. I'm totally self-taught in Photoshop so I love having resources like this. I have to admit that I like my comfort-zone of sameness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just me but I am completely dissatisfied with the whole recent update. I did a search for "I HATE CC2018" and this is what came up, so I figured why not list it here.

Spacing between lettering not working correctly, you have to go into properties to adjust and even then it shows something different than the true value. Making going back editing later a pain in the butt. Adding numbers to font sometimes goes immediately to the front no matter what order you type it in. Keeps timing out or sticking, yes even in smaller files. I am really dissatisfied with the current product. Wishing I could go back to when I first decided to upgrade to the CC versions. Almost ready to result back to the CS4.

Just to list a few.

AM I ALONE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep selecting one tool and it switches to another... Oh the list could go on ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AlphaOmegaAds1,

Make sure you've updated to the Photoshop CC 19.0.1 update. It sounds like you've not applied the update yet which fixes the Leading issue you're describing, possibly some of the other issues.

Check the Creative Cloud desktop application for an update to Photoshop. Here's info on how to check if the update has applied: Photoshop Version Displayed Incorrectly

If you install the update and still have trouble, it'd be best for you to create a new thread where we could assist you directly. 

Let us know that goes.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a different problem with the brush upgrades. I have to scroll down through 30 brushes to get to the folder with the brush I want, then open the folder to find the brush I want. I just want 1 brush to pop up at a time. I have no need to group all of the brushes I have used all together. I know where they are and can only use one at a time. How can I, if I can, use the old way of opening the brushes and see the entire list and chose 1 at a time?

Thanks, Pete C 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual Photoshop steals capabilities from other companies like Corel Painter, hires their guru, Fay Sircus, to try to push their photo painting, and screws up a good program of brushes that were working.  Cant find my flair and scatter brushes that I was accustomed to working with.  And the hours spent with techs from India just to install this crap is mind boggling.  For this reason I have another MAC with Photoshop 5 on it to finish my images.  What a piece of crap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you man, this new brush folder thing is a farce. Why not just go the full hog and stick all the palettes into their own folders, bundle them all together into one tools palette that has 140718 folders to sift through What an utterly stupid idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree, the new brush palette in CC is awful. That's not really a case of me fearing change or wanting to move out of my comfort zone, its about usability. Finding brushes is like searching for a bloody gene sequence now.

Adobe, considering you have a program called 'Xd', I wonder if you know what that actually stands for? Why, is it always, always a case when you release an update that you change things that didn't require any amendments. Is it to justify charging a subscription for 'continuous new releases'?  There seems to be a relentless ethos of 'fixing' things that weren't broken...which only does one thing, break things that didn't need fixed. As a paying customer, can you please, stop f*cking about with the things that work fine....pretty please, with the old brush palette on top?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still have Photoshop CS2 operating on a G5. What a joy!---especially as compared with the morass of gobbledecrap on the "upgraded" version.

Specifically, I have a set of brushes, soft and hard on one palette. Their sizes vary according to the Fibonacci sequence (so always in nearly the same proportion). I go up or down in size by hitting the arrow key. The same palette and size changing feature works across tools, such as eraser. Perfect. Beautiful.

Is there any way to achieve some approximation of this in the new jungle of cluttery confusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with the above replies. And where did all the calligraphy brushes go? Adobe why do you keep breaking things that work perfectly fine? Geez....... getting REALLY frustrated with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't they ask us what we want to install when we upgrade - surely this makes sense. It used to be we had the 'what's new' feature in the menus. That was great, now I have no idea what's going on - spend hours online trying to find where the hell my brushes have gone etc. Have an install box, select how you want the software to perform as default and then give the option to users (as in the customers) to add and subtract new features as we need them.

Sort it out Adobe PLEASE! BTW I totally agree with the 'XD comment - each iteration gets worse, more complicated, and frankly less and less worth the money as I spend soo much time working out how to do things, again and again, not to mention ranting about it on forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey guys.  It's not hard.  We have been asking for an updated brush panel for years.  We've had long threads on this forum, and on the feedback site.

If you want to go back, delete _all_ of the folders and load the Legacy Brushes.

Turn on all the options, because they are useful, and if you want to load a preset without changing tools, hold down the Ctrl (Cmd) key when you see a different tool to what you currently have selected.

Make a new group and drag in some favourites, or if you can't see preset and group, select the preset, select your new group, and click on New Preset and give it a name.  This works with tool presets as well now.

Right click any preset and click on Get More Brushes, and download Kyles Mega Pack.  It is beyond awesome with some really useful presets (about a zillion of them).

So many new features are hated when they are first released, but once we learn them, we'd never go back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines