• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layouts for folding brochures

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I go to create a folding brochure in InDesign I spend a a lot of time setting up a page with guides based on measurements form the client or the printer since pages can't be the same width on a folding brochure. Folding brochures aren't that uncommon, so this seems like something Adobe would have addressed, but I've never heard of a solution. Does one exist or am I using the best available technique?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

You could save your basic set up as an InDesign template.

There are also free templates available here: https://indesignsecrets.com/resources/indesign-templates

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could save your basic set up as an InDesign template.

There are also free templates available here: https://indesignsecrets.com/resources/indesign-templates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm doing but it seems archaic and clunky. I would think Adobe had accounted for folds. They seem to think of everything else.

Thanks for the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there seems to be any one correct answer and I don't want to labor the issue. I just was asking to improve my InDesign skills, not because of a bug or anything like that.
That having been said I think Derek Cross gave me the most straight forward solution, so I am going to call his solution the correct answer although I wouldn't call any of these posts the wrong answer.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's often several ways to approach these things in InDesign (and other applications), as you said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the www.foldfactory.com for folding templates. Registration is free:

Foldfactory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve... That site is awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This type of thing (Foldfactory ) should be integrated into future versions of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree. Thank you for recommending Foldfactory!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really clear, but it sounds like you're referring to the so-called "tri fold brochure," (A misnomer, considering there are only 2 folds.) Yes, 3 equal panels will fold improperly, so a slight guide-shift is in order.

If that is indeed what you're referring to, have you tried Googling "tri fold brochure template for indesign"?

You'll have about 581k hits to choose from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tri folds, two, three and four page fold outs, accordion folds, roll folds, double gate folds etc. There are a lot of folds out there.

I have tried Googling "tri fold brochure template for indesign". Thanks for the tip.

What I was trying to ask is if there was a more elegant method of handling folds than making my own templates or downloading them from a third party. I would expect it to be accounted for in InDesign since folds are a very common thing for a designer to work with, but I guess it's not included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be what you are trying to do Changing page size .

Hope you find it helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your folding brochure as single pages, even if they have different sizes. Put them together as spreads and export them as spreads to the requirement of the printer. It has the advantage that all borders work correctly, text reflows and you can export an output in single pages too if required.

I have an example here: Dropbox - Wickelfalz.idml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willi Adelberger.
That's an original solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was thinking Willi. I create them as separate spreads and they work well.

I've also used a template from the InDesign Idea Book. This was a one page layout, but it printed perfect for me every time.

Also, FoldFactory is also amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines